Not So Empty Threats

Xavier's phone was buzzing on the table every couple minutes. Jay did his best to ignore it, he may be from the Isle, but even he knew that snooping through his boyfriends phone wasn't the greatest idea. 

Then again, one look probably wouldn't hurt. Jay shot a glance at the bathroom door, making sure that the shower was still running, as he picked the phone off the desk. He was met with a plethora of text notifications flooding the home screen, all from Xavier's ex.

"I thought he blocked you," Jay mumbled, opening one of the notifications. 

Come on, Avi, don't ignore me.

I miss you, Xavier.

When are you coming back?

Come on, you little slut, answer the phone.

The texts only got worse the more Jay read. So many insults. So many threats.

Insults and threats towards his boyfriend.

Do you want me to hurt you again?

Or maybe I'll go after your friends. Is that what you want?

Xavier, do you want me to hurt your sisters?

If you know what's good for you, you'll pick up the phone.

Jay hadn't even realized that the shower had stopped running until the door was open.

"Jay, what are you doing?" 

Jay jumped, placing the phone down as he locked eyes with Xavier.

"Xavier, I'm sorry," Was the first thing he could think to say.

"Why were you looking through my phone?" He asked. 

He didn't sound angry per se, but did look upset. 

Honestly, Jay was sure he would have preferred Xavier be angry. Then he wouldn't have to deal with the lingering guilt he felt.

"It was blowing up, and I know that's not an excuse, I'm not trying to use it as one," Jay said, "Xavier, why is Ambrose still texting you?"

Xavier tensed, rushing over to check his phone. His grip on it seemed to tighten the more he read through before he dropped it back down on the bed.

"I thought you blocked him," Jay said, standing up as he watched Xavier pace around.

"I did!" Xavier exclaimed, "I swear I did! Fuck!"

"Hey, it's alright," Jay said, gently grabbing onto his shoulders, leaving Xavier a way to pull away if he wanted, "They're just empty threats, he's not going to-"

"They're not empty," Xavier said, "They're never empty when it comes to him."

"Xavier, you need to calm down, alright?" Jay said, cupping his face. 

There were already tears forming in his eyes, a few escaping that Jay brushed away. In an instant, Xavier's arms were around him, pulling him into a tight hug.

"He's gonna hurt Jordan and Gigi," Xavier forced out, "This is my problem, they shouldn't need to be dragged into this."

"He's not going to hurt them," Jay assured him, running his hand through Xavier's hair, "He's not going to hurt them, I promise."

"This is my fault."

"Oh, hey, no," Jay said, pulling away enough to be able to look his boyfriend in the eyes. 

He thought this was his own fault? If he wasn't mad before, he definitely was now.

"Xavier listen to me, none of this is your fault," Jay said sternly, "You want someone to blame? Blame your crazy ex who thinks it's ok to threaten you as well as your friends and family."

"But-"

"Don't argue. Do you want to text your sisters? To give them a heads-up just in case?"

Xavier nodded, wiping the tears away from his eyes as he picked his phone up again. 

"Hey, where are you going?" Xavier asked, watching as Jay walked towards the door.

"I'm just stepping out for a moment," Jay said, "Just stay here, alright? I'll be back in a bit."