Chapter 21

A/N: Inspired by the Met Gala, we're going to the famed Friday fashion show! Ready for the bet? Cause I am!!!

***

Friday. The day of the fashion show. Racks upon racks of clothes were being wheeled in and out of dressing rooms as designers, make up artist and stylists worked on models. Shreya was no different, checking the fitting of her clothes and making sure everything was in place. Suddenly, a bouquet of flowers appeared in font of her, obscuring her vision. Shreya turned around only to meet with a grinning Deepak.

"Hi," Shreya chirped as she accepted the flowers. "You really didn't have to do this."

"I wanted to," Deepak replied. "Is this the new collection?"

"Yeah," Shreya answered. "I have about two hours left to my show, I'm about to pick Kavya and Aarav up in about 5 minutes. You can hang around the dressing room or..."

"It's alright," Deepak smiled. "I've been invited by another friend to their show. So, I'll be watching that while I wait for yours."

"But I'm still your favorite designer," Shreya teased. "Right?"

"Of course!" Deepak exclaimed. "I just gave you a bouquet of flowers. Doesn't that mean anything?"

Shreya laughed.

"I've got to go," Deepak told her. "I'll see you once your show is over. Bye."

"Bye," Shreya replied and Deepak left.

Shreya did a quick one over check and told her staff she was leaving. However, when she reached her car, she realized one of her tyres was flat. She silently cursed at the situation and pulled out her phone. Maybe she could call someone for help or borrow one of her staff's car.

"Shreya?"

Shreya turned around only to find Rohit in his car with his windows wound all the way down.

"Is something wrong?" Rohit asked.

Shreya stepped aside and that was when he noticed the flat tyre.

"Have you called a mechanic?" Rohit continued.

She shook her head.

"I just noticed it," Shreya replied.

Rohit took a look at his watch. He remembered Shreya offering to pick up Kavya so that he could watch Tania's show but since Shreya was in a difficult situation...

"I'll pick Kavya," Rohit offered.

"Huh?" Shreya asked, wide eyed. "But..."

"You deal with the car and concentrate on your fashion show," Rohit commanded. "Don't worry about Kavya."

Not giving Shreya another chance to speak, Rohit wound up his car window and drove out of the parking lot.

Shreya turned to her phone once more but this time, she was going to inform Deepak about the change of plans. Unfortunately, his phone was turned off. She knew the fashion show schedule by hard and realized they had started seating the guests. It wasn't until Shreya remembered who the show stopper was that it clicked. Rohit was here to watch Tania.

Rohit had tried numerous times to call Tania to tell her he couldn't make it to her show but she never picked up. Rohit knew this was normal as it was only minutes to showtime and she could already be on standby. However, Rohit wished he could have informed her personally instead of her looking out only to see an empty seat. He resorted to leaving a voice message and continued on to Kavya's school. At that moment, Rohit had unknowing changed his fate.

Deepak smiled to himself as he smugly sauntered into the hall. He looked down at his watch as he counted down the seconds until the door was locked. He wasn't proud of what he had done but Deepak was willing to do anything to destroy Rohit Sehgal. If he had timed everything correctly, Rohit would never make it back in time to watch Tania walk the ramp. The doors were locked and the light were dimmed to signal the start of the show. It was only then that Deepak finally relaxed into his seat and had his entire attention fixed on the stage. He couldn't wait to see the look on Tania's face when she realized she had lost the bet.

Tania was on standby at the wings talking with the fashion designer, Adhya Ambani. She wanted so much to sneak a peek at the audience to look for a certain Mr. Rohit Sehgal in the crowd. He promised he would be there. She knew that Rohit had even made arrangements with Shreya so that he could make it to her show without fail. Tania was sure she was going to win the bet, she had to, or there would be hell to pay. As the last few models were walking the ramp, Tania was helped up to the stage. The moment of truth was near and she could feel her heart hammering in her chest. The lights were in her eyes so she couldn't quite see out but she knew where Rohit was going to be.

"You're up," Tania heard the stage manager said.

Tania took a deep breath to calm herself before stepping into the full view of the audience. Her eyes zoned into Rohit's seat and her heart leapt. She won, Rohit was at his seat. However, as she got closer, it started becoming apparent that something was amiss. The way the person sat, the way that person carried themselves. It wasn't Rohit. Tania carried on down the runway and if she was starting to panic, it didn't show on her face. It wasn't until she reached the end of the runway that she realized who it was in Rohit's seat.

Deepak was practically beaming when Tania came face to face with him. Everything was all over, every glimmer of hope, every slither of certainty. It was all gone. Deepak had won the bet. Tania had lost.

From that point on, everything was a daze to Tania. Her training kicked in, she posed for the cameras and smiled for the masses but it was all on autopilot mode. It wasn't until she reached backstage and heard a voice that she snapped out of it.

It was Kavya with Rohit and... Aarav? She knew Shreya Kapoor was next on the schedule but of all people, she had never expected to see Aarav here. The last time she saw him, he was just a child.

Suddenly, someone stepped into her line of sight, obscuring her view. It was Deepak.

"Look at them," he pointed to the scene she was just observing mere seconds ago. "Don't they look happy? Like a family?"

"What do you want?" Tania spoke in a low voice. "Rohit is nearby, don't cause a scene."

"Don't worry," Deepak replied. "The awaited drama's tomorrow night. I just wanted to remind you of our bet. I can't wait to see how Rohit's going to react."

Deepak then walked off to join his son and the Sehgals as Tania watched on. He then pointed out Tania to Rohit, who made his way to her.

"I'm sorry," Rohit apologized. "Something came up last minute."

"You promised you'd come," Tania reprimanded him. "Rohit, I'm not asking for much, I just want you to be here."

"Tania," Rohit replied, a bit confused with her attitude. "I said I'm sorry. It's not like this is the first time I couldn't attend your show."

Tania wanted to shout at him, to scream at him but she couldn't explain to him why she needed him there. So instead, she resigned to sulking.

"I am your girlfriend," Tania said.

"And Kavya is my daughter," Rohit retorted. "I told you before that no matter what happens, Kavya comes first."

***

A/N: Oops, Tania lost the bet... Looks like there's new drama ahead. I can't wait to see what's Rohit's reaction when he sees Tania at the party.