Chapter 40

A/N: I wanted to publish this chapter earlier but I didn't like how that went so a rewrite was in order. Sorry for taking a while.

***

Shreya was worried sick when Rohit and Kavya returned home way past their agreed time. The moment they got home, Rohit quickly stepped in to explain to Shreya what had happened. Her worry then turned into anger.

"How could someone allow this?" Shreya exclaimed.

"I know," Rohit agreed. "Thankfully, Aarav's friends went ahead to lodge a police report. There shouldn't be any such nonsense going on. But, I guess the police might try to get in contact with Kavya soon."

"Poor Aarav," Shreya lamented. "I hope he's doing fine."

When Shreya noticed how guilty Kavya looked, standing aside, she pulled the younger girl into a tight hug.

"Thank God you're alright," Shreya muttered.

"I should have listened to the both of you and not go to the party," Kavya regretted. "Aarav would have been fine."

"This is not your fault," Shreya insisted. "If it's anyone's fault, it's the guy who drugged Aarav."

Rohit placed a comforting hand on Kavya's shoulder.

"Go to sleep," Rohit told  Kavya. "It's late. We'll deal with it tomorrow."

Shreya released Kavya and let Rohit guide her towards the bedroom. When Kavya was out of earshot, Rohit led Shreya into the kitchen which was at the other end of the house.

"I understand we're in the middle of taking over the textile company but we might have to postpone it," Rohit revealed. "And as much as I'd like to see that rotten kid spend his entire life in jail, knowing the Arora family, they'll use the police report to create some leverage."

Shreya looked pensively at Rohit.

"That's not all," Shreya replied. "Right?"

Rohit shook his head.

"It's public knowledge that the Arora's bid for the land deal is a last minute effort to save their main construction business," Rohit discussed. "I had a talk with Deepak earlier at the hospital. There's a plan to drop the police charges against the kid if the parents hand over ownership of the hotel. And when they do, I'm willing to trade the land site with the hotel."

"But why?" Shreya asked, confused.

Instead of answering, Rohit just remained silent and clenched his fist.

"Why won't you two just allow the police to do their jobs?" Shreya followed up.

"There's one thing you have to understand about the Aroras," Rohit finally spoke up. "If they have a chance at revenge, they'll take it, even if it means stripping the person of everything they have. Unfortunately, that is one thing I inherited from my father. The blood of Vijay Arora fills my veins whether I like it or not. You might have heard rumours about how ruthless I've been. They're all true. What you might not have known is that I have a personal score to settle with those people. That kid tried to hurt our daughter and he succeeded in hurting Aarav. Anyhow, it's too late to back down. Deepak's probably working on the deal right now. He's your friend, you should know how he is."

Not anymore, Shreya wanted to say but she bit her lips.

"I know you don't like this," Rohit continued. "But this became personal the moment that kid set his eyes on Kavya."

Shreya, in their years together, have never seen such stoic coldness in Rohit's eyes.

Rohit... What happened to you?

***

The night felt like it drew on for ages. After his friends had visited and left, Deepak sat him down to explain the plan. There was no hard feelings, it was all business and he was used to it. Aarav could only wonder what would happen when his friends found out. Especially, Kavya.

As the more sunlight streamed into the room, the ward grew busier.

"Ishita?"

The silhouette peered over the curtains.

"Hi," she meekly said. "I thought you were asleep."

Aarav pulled himself up to a sitting position.

"What's up?" Aarav asked.

"I heard that your dad wanted the charges dropped," she informed him. "The boys found out, actually. I just heard from them."

"Does Kavya know?" Aarav questioned.

Ishita shook her head.

"We thought we'd check with you first," she explained.

"I'll tell her myself," he said.

"Are you ok with that?" Ishita inquired.

"Telling Kavya?" Aarav returned. "Why shouldn't I be?"

"I meant dropping the charges," Ishita clarified. "Are you ok with your family using a criminal charge to broker a business deal?"

"This is going to sound very stupid," he started. "But my dad and Rohit Sehgal could finally see eye to eye on something. I'd let them have at it if it meant a bit of peace and quiet in my house. Also, that idiot, Saurabh's record hadn't been tarnished. That's us giving him another chance and letting him off the hook. I just wish that thickheaded jackass would finally learn his lesson."

Ishita, having grown up with Aarav, understood this despite the issue didn't sit right with her.

"If he dares to pull another trick," Aarav continued. "He'll have me to deal with."

"He'll have to deal with us," Raghav announced, making his presence known. "Sorry for disturbing your date but the rest of the gang is here."

Ishita shot him daggers but Raghav just returned with a knowing smile.

"Is Kavya here?" Aarav asked, oblivious to the exchange.

Raghav shook his head.

"Good," Aarav said. "I intend to keep it between us for a while."

As the boys begun pouring into the room, Aarav became more relaxed.

***

"I heard about the deal with Rohit Sehgal," Vijay Arora stated.

"Rohit's already agreed to it," Deepak replied. "I've got the contact drawn up and their lawyer, Aman, had looked into it. He's agreed to the terms as well."

"What are you planning Deepak?" Vijay asked, apprehensive of his son's decision.

"Nothing," Deepak revealed. "This one is for Aarav. You can assure your lover that I won't harm her precious son. At least, this time."

"It's not her or Rohit that I'm worried about," Vijay said, sincerely. "It's you."

"You don't have to worry about me," Deepak remarked. "I know what I'm doing. All you need to do is sign those papers. I've got everything under control."

"Deepak," Vijay sighed. He didn't want to argue anymore. "Fine, I trust you. I'll sign the papers. Just be careful."

"Thank you," Deepak accepted. He knew this was as close to an approval he could elicit from his father.

***

A/N: What do you think of the deal? Do you think Deepak and Rohit will work together despite their history? Also, will Kavya take the news sitting down or will hell break loose when she finds out?