Chapter 39

A/N: Disclaimer: I'm not a medical doctor (although my parents would love it if I were one 😅)

***

Normally Tania would ignore phone calls with unknown numbers but after a whole day of meetings and photoshoots, she mindlessly picked up her phone. What she heard was not what she had expected at all.

"Driver!" Tania called. "St. John's Hospital! Jalti (Fast)!"

The moment the automatic doors to the emergency ward swung open, she came face to face with Rohit. The unexpectedness of the situation stopped her in her tracks.

"Where is he?" Tania asked. "Where's Aarav?"

"They're still checking him out inside," he revealed. "But his vitals are stable. It was a good move by the kids to call me instead of waiting for an ambulance."

Kids?

Tania peeked over Rohit's shoulders to find a couple of teenagers huddled up together against the row of chair by the wall. By the looks of it, they were out partying. Among them, Tania could only recognize Kavya.

"Have you called Deepak?" Tania asked.

"He's on his way," Rohit revealed. "Do you want to go in?"

Tania nodded and Rohit led her in. Thankfully, the doctor had just finished with Aarav.

"He's still unconscious," the doctor spoke. "But he's going to be fine. We've flushed as the drugs out of his system and hooked him on an IV to keep him hydrated. He should regain consciousness any time soon. Please call me when that happens."

And the doctor left.

"I'll leave you two alone," Rohit said and he followed the doctor out.

Tania couldn't help but stare at the boy in front of her, in his current state, he looked a lot younger than he was. It was as if time had reversed itself for her to catch up on all the times she had missed out. She gently held his hand, the one not hooked onto the IV drip.

Silence permeated the room. At this time, there weren't many people and Tania was glad for that. She didn't want to be recognized at such a private moment. She ran a thumb across Aarav's knuckle when a new presence made itself known.

"Tania?"

Deepak hadn't expected to see her here. How did she find out about Aarav?

"The hospital called," she replied, as if reading his mind. Her eyes were still fixed on Aarav, afraid that he would disappear if she looked away. "I just wanted to know how he's doing."

The pair stood there taking in the silence and watching the rising and falling of Aarav's chest.

"I'll make them pay," Deepak suddenly uttered.

Tania tore her gaze from Aarav only to be met with Deepak's simmering fury. It had been awhile since she's seen him like that. The last time was...

Before Tania could say something, Aarav stirred. Afraid she'd get caught, she quickly released her hold on Aarav's hand.

"I have to go," Tania muttered. "Please call the doctor."

Deepak understood her position and allowed her to leave.

"What happened?" Rohit asked when Tania reappeared at the waiting room, slightly frazzled.

"Aarav's awake," she informed him. "Thank you for taking care of him."

Rohit nodded.

"I'll walk you back to you car," he told her. "Let me just tell the kids."

Tania waited a little further away as Rohit relayed the news to Kavya and her friends. They instantly got up and made their way inside. Rohit then rejoined Tania and walked her out.