Chapter 4

A/N: Thanks to reality, I'm going to give Nano as skip this year. The last time I did it I was so close to hitting the 50k words with In Love With My Brother's Best Friend... Maybe next year? In other world news, I did quite well with my exam last week and will be slightly more free this week and next week. So, there might be a chance of a double update 😄😄😄 Keep those fingers crossed!!!

***

Going home to the Sehgal Manor was never a good thing for Rohit. As much as he loved his mother, he couldn't tolerate her constant disgruntled rambles. However, he knew today's was an inevitable one. No matter how much Rohit would like to hide his daughter from her, she had a right to know.

"Good evening, Rohit Baba," Mohan, the house caretaker greeted him as Rohit entered the house.

"Good evening, Mohan Kaka," Rohit replied.

"Madamji is waiting for you at the dinner table," Mohan said as he escorted Rohit to the dining room.

Just as Rohit entered the dining room, he heard a voice.

"You're late."

That voice that sounded so regal and yet so indifferent never ceased to strike fear into his heart. However, as he entered the dining room, not even a muscle on him showed it. His mother, Nandini Sehgal is an evergreen beauty, a pillar of strength that commands a 'touch the feet' kind of reverence.  Her only fault was clamping up all her emotions and keeping her son at bay. Both, a "side effect" of a broken heart.

"Good evening ma," Rohit greeted, ignoring the snide remark. He took his usual seat, sitting on her right.

"Rohit," she chastised him. "Is it true? What I've been reading in the papers?"

"Yes," he replied casually.

"But how?" Nandini asked in disbelief.

"You know how," Rohit sneered. "You had me."

"Rohit, this is no time for jokes!" Nandini exclaimed. "Are you sure she's your daughter? What if they're frauds? I don't like this, Rohit."

"She IS my daughter," Rohit answered. " I had already gotten a DNA test done. And I'm sure it doesn't matter if you like her or not, you only cared if you had a heir to the Sehgal empire, right? Well, here you go, your new heiress. I'll see you soon, I'm not hungry."

Rohit stormed out of the dining room and subsequently of the house.

Why couldn't​ she be happy just once?

Rohit told himself that he'll be better than her, that he'll be the best parent anyone could have. He promised himself that he'll never let his daughter feel the same way. He'll love her and he'll do anything to keep her happy.

Rohit pulled out his phone from his pocket and dialed a number. He wiped away all traces of anger and disappointment. He had something important to attend to and he can't let his emotions get to him.

"Hello?"

"Miss Kapoor?" Rohit's voice was clear and unwavering.

"It's me... Kavya..."

"Hi," his mood perked up immediately. "How are you? How's your leg? Does it still bother you?"