Chapter 42

A/N: I realized this might book take longer than expected to complete given that there are a few unanswered plot points haha

***

The press conference was, thankfully, as smooth as it can get given that there were the occasional awkward or 'creatively' phrased questions from the media to spark some fodder. By the time Rohit had returned for Kavya, Kavya's notebook had begun resembling a conspiracy map. She slammed it shut the moment Rohit entered the room.

"I'd like to call a family meeting," Kavya requested. "Tomorrow night. You, mom, myself... And daadi (grandmother)."

Rohit was about to protest but Kavya continued on.

"I know you're concerned with daadi (grandmother)," she argued. "But I think I can handle it. Trust me?"

Rohit acquiesced. 

"I'll inform my mother after you convince yours," Rohit accepted.

"Done," Kavya agreed.

"If that's all," Rohit checked. "Shall we go?"

Kavya put everything back into her schoolbag and left the inner room. When she realized the other room was also empty, her curiosity got the better of her.

"Where's everyone?" Kavya inquired.

"They left," Rohit answered. "Why?"

Kavya shook her head in response, her plan would have to wait a little longer. She peeked at her phone and realized that school was only halfway over.

"If you're wondering why hasn't your mom called it's because I haven't had the chance to tell her," he disclosed, assuming that was what Kavya was worried about.

That explained the uncharacteristic radio silence from her mom. 

"Are you going to tell her?" Kavya asked, sheepishly.

"No," Rohit stated and Kavya let out a sigh of relief. "You're going to tell her yourself when we get home."

A panic stricken expression crossed Kavya's face.

"How's about we head out for lunch then we go home?" Kavya attempted to stall for time.

"Nice try," Rohit retuned. "But I've got food from the hotel restaurant that's waiting in the car."

Kavya let out a sigh of defeat and reluctantly allowed Rohit to drive her home.

***

"Rohit you really don't need to..." Shreya begun but stopped when she noticed Kavya trailing behind. "Kavya? What happened? Why are you home so early?"

"I...," Kavya stammered. "I... Went looking for dad."

"Did you run away from school?" Shreya asked and Kavya nodded. "I thought we talked about this? It's dangerous out there, you need to stop running away."

"I know," she replied. "I'm sorry, I really am but I needed to know the truth. The matter at the hotel concerned me too. Shouldn't I also deserve a say? Don't I deserve the truth?"

Deep down, Shreya knew Kavya was right.

"But you still shouldn't have ran away," Shreya repeated.

Kavya hung her head in shame. Rohit cleared his throat.

"There's one more thing," he reminded Kavya.

"Haan (Right)," Kavya suddenly recalled. "I'm calling a family meeting. You, me, dad and daadi (grandmother)."