Chapter 26

A/N: Repercussions part 2. Let's see what Tania has in store for us.

***

Monday lunchtime arrived faster than Shreya would like. Waiting in a corner of a quiet but luxurious cafe was Tania Jain.

"Hello Shreya," Tania greeted.

"Hi," Shreya replied. Shreya felt slightly guilty for meeting Tania without informing Rohit, especially after what happened during the party. She had made up her mind that she was going to listen to everything Tania was going to say and then leave immediately after.

The waiter came with a menu and Tania's drink of choice. Shreya ordered a glass of water which piqued Tania's interested.

"Come on Shreya," she said, with a slight laugh. "I'm buying you lunch. Go ahead and order something."

"I'm a bit busy today," Shreya offered, not completely being truthful. Sure, she had a lot of work to do but it wasn't she wasn't "busy" per say.

"Alright," Tania relented.

The waiter returned with Shreya's glass of water and Tania's demeanor changed.

"I'm going to get straight to the point," Tania spoke. "What are your intentions with Rohit?"

Initially, Shreya was annoyed at the question but when she stepped back and looked at things from Tania's perspective, it made sense.

"I don't have any," Shreya answered. "Anything between us has and will be strictly platonic. We're just doing what we can to raise our daughter. And that night at the party... I was just helping Rohit out. There's nothing going on between us."

"I trust you," Tania acknowledged. "It's just that Rohit hasn't been himself lately. Bringing you to the party was the only Rohit move I recognized. He rarely takes time off work and yet, he forgoes his lunch appointments to pick up his daughter from school. I guess you won't really know a person's true colours."

"People can change," Shreya felt a need to defend Rohit who wasn't around to defend himself. "I've seen him change ever since he met Kavya "

Tania scoffed.

"I've known Rohit since we were in school," she started. "And we've been together for almost 5 years. I hope for yours and your daughter's sake, you're right. But as changed as he is, I also know Rohit well enough that if there's anything Rohit hates more than failure is being lied to. You saw Rohit's reaction to me and Deepak."

"If you're here to ask me to help convince Rohit to forgive you," Shreya interrupted. "I'm sorry but I can't help you."

"I wasn't talking about that," Tania responded. "Let's just say, I know that your one night of passion with Rohit was never an accident."

Shreya sat up straighter in her chair. She had never expected the conversation to take such a turn. The question that kept playing on Shreya's mind was, 'how did she find out?'

"Are you threatening me?" Shreya postulated.

Tania shrugged in response. She was way calmer than she should be.

"It's only a threat when you feel threatened," Tania replied. "Don't worry, it's not public knowledge yet. I'm just here to warn you before it happens. Let's just say someone very close to Rohit has that information and is trying to keep it from him."

"Why are you telling me this?" Shreya inquired, searching Tania's face for answers.

"Will you believe me if I said I'm rooting for you?" Tania smirked. "What I have with Rohit, or had, you couldn't call that a romantic relationship. He does take his boyfriend responsibilities very seriously but he could never be comfortable enough to show me his true emotions. And, he has neither chosen me over his work. So, forgive my curiosity when I noticed that he does exactly that when he's around you and when he's around Kavya. You might think I see you as competition, but I don't. We're all pawns in Rohit's little game of chess. You, me, maybe even Kavya... And I'd very much like to see one of us win."

***

If anxious was a person, Aarav would fit the bill to a tee. He had overheard his father's conversation with his grandfather that there was a fight on Saturday with Rohit Sehgal.

"Stop pacing you idiot," Gaurav groaned. "You're giving me a headache."

Aarav stopped pacing and stood next to his friend, tapping his feet instead.

"You know instead of staking out 11B with you," Gaurav complained. "I could have gone to lunch with the gang."

"Your girlfriend's also in the class," Aarav returned. "Be thankful."

"I really don't understand you," Gaurav sighed. "You spend the entire morning avoiding Kavya and now you're-"

There. Aarav finally spotted her. He completely tuned out his friend and ran up to Kavya who had just left her classroom, Nayara by her side.

"Hey," Aarav greeted the two.

"Hi," the girls responded.

"Gaurav wanted to talk to Nayara and I decided to accompany him," Aarav lied. "Come Kavya, let's give them some privacy."

Before anyone could say anything, Aarav physically ushered Kavya away.

"Let go of me," Kavya scolded. "Is this how you treat a lady? And tell me the truth, does Gaurav really want to talk to Nayara or do you have something to tell me?"

Aarav opened his mouth to say something but Kavya cut him off.

"Don't you try to lie to me," she warned. "I saw you pacing around."

"Fine," Aarav confessed. "I need to ask you something. It's about the party on Saturday night."

"What about it?" Kavya asked, confused.

"Did your father say anything about my dad?" Aarav questioned.

"Your dad isn't a very popular conversation topic in my house," she replied. "I'm assuming this is about my dad's girlfriend?"

"Who's your dad's-" Oh.

"Tania Jain," Kavya confirmed his suspicion.

It would make sense why they would fight now.

"What I don't understand is that why did your dad bring Tania to the party in the first place?" Kavya blabbered on. "I didn't know your dad knew Tania. Actually, I don't even know why my dad chose to bring mom to the party instead of Tania. They say they're together but I hardly see them interact with each other."

Judging by the way Kavya was rambling on, Aarav came to a conclusion that she had no idea what went down during the party. Scrap that, Kavya had no idea what her entire family history with his was. Aarav couldn't help but wonder how long her parents were going to keep things from her and how it's a miracle things have managed to stay a secret for so long.

"Is that all you want to ask me?" Kavya finally finished.

Aarav nodded.

"Good," Kavya asserted. "Because I'm hungry, let's go."

As relieved as Aarav was that he didn't have to confront Kavya about their fathers' fight, he felt sort of sorry for her for when things come to light. He hoped for her sake, the situation would get better.

***

A/N: The keg of secrets is about to overflow and spill very soon. I can't wait for people to find out stuff and see their reactions.