Chapter 8

A/N: Warning: I'm not a lawyer and neither am I familiar with the court proceedings. My knowledge is limited to whatever I watch on TV.

***

It was the morning of the court case. All parties were tensed and anxious about the outcome.

At one end of the courtroom was the ever-present single mother who would sacrifice anything just to have her daughter by her side. However, at the other end was the billionaire father who despite just knowing the existence of his daughter would be willing to do anything to have his new found heir. As this was a high profile case, the public was intrigued and the press swooped down to the court house, fighting to cover this sensational piece of news.

"All rise," the courtroom clerk clearly announced as the judge entered into the room.

Everyone stood up until the judge signalled everyone to sit.

"Case 41315," the judge read out. "Custody Case of minor Kavita Kapoor is now in session"

The air was serious as the proceedings begun. All evidence were brought forward and cross examinations were done. Objections were called out some over ruled, some weren't. The first to be called up was Rohit Sehgal. He had put his case forward that Shreya had hidden this fact from him for sixteen years and he had not a single clue he had a daughter.

"May I ask Mr. Sehgal if you could identify this blank cheque?" Deepak asked as he produced it first to the judge then to Rohit.

"It's mine," Rohit answered.

"Do you remember what was it for?" Deepak prodded further.

Suddenly, a pang of recognition flashed by his face.

"I see you remember," Deepak said. "Care to share with everyone?"

It wasn't just Rohit who recognized it, his best friend, his business partner and also his lawyer, Aman Malik recognized it. Early in their careers, Aman knew that Rohit used to pay off girls with a huge sum of money once he was done with them to keep them silent.

"Objection!" Aman called out, he needed to save his friend. "This is harassment."

"Overruled," the judge said. "Mr Arora, please continue."

"Thank you," Deepak said with an air of confidence. "Mr. Sehgal? What was the cheque for?"

"I gave it to Miss Kapoor on the morning after we slept together," he answered calmly.

A chorus of oohs and murmurs spread throughout the courtroom.

"Silence!" The judge called out. "Mr. Sehgal, Mr. Arora, please continue."

"Thank you, your honor," Deepak replied. "Now, what else did you tell my client?"

Rohit knew this was it, he had sealed his fate. He was never going to see his daughter ever again.

"I told her to disappear and to never come looking for me anymore," he replied.

Deepak had a smug look over his face, he was sure he was going to win the case.

"There you go," Deepak announced. "Mr. Sehgal wanted nothing to do with Miss Kapoor so, even if she hid the fact that they had a child together, she did it under Mr. Sehgal's instructions."

Rohit Sehgal had failed himself. He had nothing else to say and only a miracle could save him. Why did he get drunk that night?

"That would be all," he heard Deepak said. "Your honour."

Next, Shreya was called up to the stand. And as what Deepak had predicted, they would ask her if she had any financial intentions for having Kavya. She fought her way through bravely, right through the end.