Chapter 36

A/N: Tea spilling cat, after being put in time out for a chapter is out of jail. Let's hope the cat has learnt to behave because there's a cup of hot tea brewing in the background...

***

Despite Shreya's multiple objections, Rohit had made himself at home on her couch. He had his laptop and work stuff sprawled all over the coffee table.

"Rohit," Shreya called for the umpteenth time. "Can you please just take my room?"

"Shreya," he responded. "You've asked me this same question many times over and my answer will always be I'm perfectly fine here. Besides, it's easier for me to work out here on the couch than in your room. The doctor said you're supposed to be resting your foot so can you stop standing around like that? Now I see where Kavya gets her stubborn streak from."

"I'm not being stubborn," she retorted. "If anyone's being stubborn, it's you. You're making it hard for me to treat you well as a guest. You already cleaned the floors, made the bed..."

"Then stop treating me like a guest," he interrupted. "Shreya, I'm doing all this because I want to help. If this situation was the whole other way around, you'd do the same, won't you?"

She couldn't fight that because she would do it. She did.

"Fine," Shreya relented just as the door bell went off. "But if you're really uncomfortable..."

"Shreya," he stopped her and made his way to the door. "I know. Thank you."

Rohit opened the door to find Aman and... Tania? What was she doing here?

"Your documents," Aman said, matter of factly and passed him the a stack of folders. "These are the ones you want, right?"

Rohit flipped through them and took note of each one of them.

"Yeah," he confirmed. "Thank you. Do you want to come in?"

"Maybe another day," Aman suggested instead. "I'm kind of in a hurry. We have the meeting with the suppliers remember?"

Rohit nodded.

"Drop Tania home when you're done," Aman added. "Her car's with her P.A. He brought it for a wash earlier and it's probably halfway to her place, right now."

The men bid each other goodbye. Rohit waited till Aman had pulled away before Tania spoke.

"How are you holding up?" Tania asked.

"I'm as fine as a person who's been lied to is," he replied. "I'm still coming to terms with everything."

"I'm sorry about Saturday," she apologized. "And last night."

"It's been a long week," he informed her. "What's done is done."

Tania knew this was as close to forgiveness she'll ever get with Rohit.

"How's Shreya?" Tania inquired, changing the topic.

"She's inside," he replied. "Sprained ankle, minor cuts."

Tania nodded, taking stock of the situation.

"Rohit," she finally dared herself to tell him the real reason she's here. "There's something I need to tell you. I've been offered a movie contract. Should I accept, I'm going to be in Switzerland for at least 6 months starting next month."

"That's great news," he said. Rohit was genuinely happy for her. It was something she had always dreamed about. "Congratulations."

"Thanks," she accepted. "The thing is, Rohit... I think we should end our relationship. When we started out 5 years ago, things were very different for the both of us. I am eternally grateful for everything you've done for me but I honestly don't see how things can ever work out for us. Even without your daughter or Shreya, I think things will not get any better between us. And Rohit, this isn't for the lack of trying. It just took them to make me realize how we've already reached this stalemate. This whole week is proof of that."