Chapter 13

A/N: I'm back with a new chapter. I hit quite a slump the entire year and so many things happened. I had actually abandoned writing but getting comments to finish this book is quite an encouragement to get me to start writing again. I'm sorry for not updating this for more than a year but to everyone who stayed on, thank you so much. I see you.

***

By the end of the day, the gang had managed to pack everything. As Aarav had school the next day, Deepak and Aarav left just after dinner. Surprising enough, Rohit had stayed back to help Shreya with cleaning up. Kavya decided to leave them alone and retreated to her room.

"I should get going too," he spoke up, after putting the last of the utensils away. " I need to do make some arrangements for you two to move in."

"Thank you for helping out," Shreya replied. "You really didn't need to."

Rohit cast her a half smile.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow then?" Rohit said.

"Yeah," Shreya answered. She then shouted to the direction of Kavya's room. "Kavya! Your dad's leaving!"

Rohit could hear shuffling and then the door opening. Kavya ran towards Rohit and threw her arms around him, pulling him into a hug. It completely took him off guard.

"Good night," she chirped.

"Good night," Rohit replied, still taken aback by Kavya's actions. However, it did not prevent him from noticing how Shreya was trying miserably to hide her laughter.

Once Kavya released him, Rohit straightened his clothes out and left. He wasn't going to allow Shreya the satisfaction of seeing the stupid grin plastered all over his face. If this was what having a daughter was like, he liked it... A lot.

***

Morning came a lot faster than Shreya liked it. As they were moving later in the day, Shreya decided that Kavya and her could have breakfast in the café a little further down the road from their house. They've been planning to do it since they moved in but between Shreya's work, the accident and the court case, they could never find the time.

"Finally!" Kavya exclaimed once the food arrived. She took a bite out of her waffles and moaned.

"That good?" Shreya teased.

"I wonder why we've never done this sooner," Kavya said and stuffed another mouthful of waffles. "You know, you're right about dad. He's a nice guy beneath all his khadoos-ness."

"You made that very clear after you spent the day with him," she replied. "Why did you suddenly bring it up?"

"I don't know," Kavya shrugged. "I thought I'd mention it since we'll be moving in with him today. Although, daadi (grandma) is a bit weird though."

That stopped Shreya in her tracks. Kavya has never mentioned meeting her.

"You met your daadi (grandma)?" Shreya asked.

"Haan (Yes)," Kavya answered. "Did I not tell you?"

Shreya shook her head.

"Dad and I had lunch with her," Kavya spoke, not realizing the gravity of her words.

The lighthearted chat had suddenly turned heavy.

"Listen," Shreya cautioned her daughter. "You have to be in your best behavior around her, do you understand? Be very careful when you speak. If you're not comfortable with something, discuss it with us, especially your father, but don't confront her outright. Also, since you're going to be spending a lot of time with her after this, please try not to give her too much trouble. She's your daadi (grandmother) after all."