Chapter 7

A/N: Is it too late to wish everyone Happy New Year? Hehe 😅😅😅

***

Shreya had been putting on the final details on her last design when her phone rang. The sky outside was dark and the moon had hung for awhile now. She reached over her workstation and answered the call without looking at the ID.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Mom?" It was Kavya. "Where are you? It's already 11."

Shreya almost dropped the phone in surprise. What? She then looked at the time on the clock in front of her.

"Oh shit," she muttered to herself. Shreya was supposed to be home by 9. "Kavya baby, are you ok? Are you alone?"

"I'm fine. I'm not alone, dad's with me."

Dad... Of course...

Shreya could head some ruffling sound before she heard his voice over the phone.

"This is the third time you've let Kavya out of your sight, Miss Kapoor. I hope this isn't how things usually are."

Shreya could feel her blood boiling under her skin. Why is he the only who one that has that effect on her? Can't he be civil for once? She knew that he was just pushing her buttons to get a reaction. So this time, she chose to ignore his remark.

"Where's Kavya?" Shreya asked instead.

"She's at home. Your home. And I have to say, Miss Kapoor, you never cease to impress me with your creativity. Its a nice place you have here. Maybe after everything has boiled over, I could get you to do up my office."

After everything has boiled over I'm going to take Kavya and run for the hills, Sherya thought to herself.

"Thanks," she muttered, unsure of what to say. "But I'd like to stick to my current profession."

He laughed.

Shivers ran down Shreya's spine. This was the first time since they met that he's laughed. She seemed to... Like the sound of it?

"Jalti se ghar aana (Come home quick), Miss Kapoor. Aapke beti aapko intezaar kar rahe ho (Your daughter is waiting for you)."

And then the line went dead.

***

It was almost midnight when Shreya finally reached home. Never in a million years did Shreya ever expect to find the scene that greeted her. Rohit and Kavya were sprawled across the couches in similar positions. Kavya's head rested on Rohit's chest as he kept a protective arm across Kavya's back. Needless to say, it was adorable. Shreya couldn't help it but to take a picture of them. Maybe she could use it for blackmail?

Due to Kavya's small frame, Shreya easily scooped her into her arms. The obstacle was removing Rohit's arm without waking him up. Thankfully, he doesn't and she lets out a sigh in relief. Shreya lifts Kavya off the couch and carries her into her room, bridal style. Kavya stirs a little in her arms but continues to sleep anyway. Shreya smiled as she remembered the times when Kavya was younger (and lighter). Would they still have this if Rohit won?

Shreya gently places Kavya on the bed and presses a quick kiss on her forehead. Shreya covered her with her blanket and left the room.

Now, for the oaf in the living room.