Chapter 41

A/N: Eid Mubarak and happy holidays! I hope everyone's having a great one.

***

As the men predicted, the Chandans were willing to relinquish the hotel in order to not offend the famed businessman, Vijay Arora and his son, the talented lawyer, Deepak Arora. Keeping to his word, Rohit also relinquished his bid on his land deal to obtain the hotel. To announce the momentous business deal, a press conference was called.

Everything at St. T was normal except this was Aarav's first day back since the incident. Kavya had just been dropped off when Aarav quickly stops her in her track.

"Aarav?" Kavya asked, surprised. "Why are you here? I thought you're still supposed to be resting?"

"I'm fine," he replied. "I need to talk to you about something."

Kavya nodded and he led her to a quieter part of the school.

"What do you know about this afternoon's press conference?" Aarav questioned.

"What press conference?" Kavya looked quizzically at him.

"I thought so," Aarav huffed. He hesitated but chose to tell her the truth after remembering her previous meltdown. "Your father... Our fathers are have agreed to a business deal."

Kavya's brows furrowed further.

"You know how our fathers hate each other," Aarav attempted. "Right?"

Kavya nodded.

"And business rivals?" He continued. Another nod. "So, you'd understand they don't do business together."

"Aarav!" Kavya got annoyed. "Why are you telling me this? I have to get to class."

"Ok," Aarav raised his hand in defense. "Saurabh's parents traded their hotel so that I won't press charges against him."

"Did you agree?" Kavya looked at Aarav wide eyed.

Aarav nodded, confirming her suspicion.

"Why?!" Kavya exclaimed. "Drugging people is a criminal offense. And what does that have to do with... My dad's involved with this?"

Aarav very reluctantly nodded. In the instance, he regretted it as he watched Kavya's expressions darken.

"I'm really fine with it," Aarav insisted. "If I didn't agree, the deal wouldn't have gone ahead. It's just business."

"Just business?" Kavya questioned. "In spite of everything, we're family."

"And that's precisely why I agreed to this," Aarav chimed in. "If they can agree to put aside their differences for a business deal..."

"Aarav!" Kavya stopped him. "Are you listening to yourself? A bunch of adults just used your life as a bargaining chip."

"There's no need to get so dramatic," he returned.

"You could have died!" Kavya shouted. "I don't know what's wrong with the entire family but I am disgusted with how easily everyone's willing to agree to trade your life for a business deal."

With this Kavya turned on her heels and left.

"Where are you going?" Aarav called after her.

"I'm going to find my dad," Kavya replied without turning to face him.

Aarav chose to let her go. She needed answers and he wasn't going to stop her from finding it.

In the morning rush, Kavya managed to slip out of school and called a taxi. When she got to the office building, she walked right up to the private lift. Coincidentally, the lift opened to reveal Aman, her father's company lawyer and best friend. She's only met him once when he dropped off some documents at her mother's house.