Chapter 29

A/N: Fast update as promised. Also... Previously on opening A/Ns, tea over boils, Author turns off stove. Gets tea, kitty intercepts path, sloshing tea on the floor. Author, now, sets the still full cup on a table to clean up the mess. Kitty notices and jumps onto the table despite all the verbal warnings. Kitty nudges cup, some tea spills out... Kitty happy. 🤣🤣🤣

***

Just like Rohit had said, the security firm was "in the area". They got their identities checked and signed a waiver form before they were allowed into the tapes viewing area.

"What time did you arrive?" Rohit asked Shreya.

"9.30?" Shreya replied. "I wasn't looking at the time but it was before the first show."

"Start the tape at 9.30," Rohit instructed.

"But Deepak didn't arrive to before Tania's show," she recounted.

"We don't know when it happened," he informed her. "So, we might as well just watch it from the start."

The video operator acknowledged the request and started the tape at the specified time. True enough, there was Shreya's car by the boom gate entrance a few minutes later. They followed the trail of cameras until Shreya parked.

"That camera," Rohit pointed out to the operator and that recording filled up the screen. "Fast forward."

The pair watched as the tape played at double speed.

"My mom has agreed to pick Kavya up and watch her," Rohit whispered to Shreya.

At that, Shreya tensed up.

Rohit could only wonder what brought on such a reaction from her. Everytime he brought up his mother or mentioned her past, she'd tense up and then try to play things off at if it didn't bother her.

"Thank you," she replied after she'd recover.

The pair then continued to watch the tape, this was going to take a long time. They had barely crossed the 9.45am mark.

"Do you think you could go faster?" Shreya asked the operator.

The operator answered with an inaudible "yes" and sped the tape up when more. It was playing at 4 times the speed now.

"Have you thought of what you're going to do to Deepak yet?" Rohit questioned, softly.

"No," Shreya murmured. "What about you?"

Rohit shook his head.

"But I want Tania to know about it," he answered. "It's the least I can do."

10am. Still no sign of Deepak.

"I think so too," she agreed. "You should see her soon and work things out."

"Why?" Rohit asked.

Shreya let out a chuckle in disbelief.

"Because she's your girlfriend," she stated, matter of fact.

"What if I don't want to continue the relationship anymore?" Rohit wondered. "What if I want to end things with her?"

"Everyone makes mistakes," Shreya urged. "Rohit, she hid it from you because she thought she could win the bet. She cared enough to not burden you with the knowledge of it. You've been together for 5 years."

"It's not that," Rohit sighed. "Tania and I... We shouldn't do this anymore. I can't lie to the world anymore. All my life, I've been only working towards my goal. I didn't stop to think about how it affected others. And now that Kavya and you are in my life, things changed. I thought I could continue on with Tania as if nothing happened. Throughout the court case, I've tried. You've seen me with her before. What did you think? Is that how people in love act?"

"Rohit," Shreya tried to sympathize with him. "I think you've been through a lot in a very short while. Give it some time."

"What if I said I've never had feelings for her?" Rohit divulged. "I did it because at that time, we both needed it. The only reason I've gone so far is because it's convenient for us."

12pm, no Deepak.

Suddenly, a thought flashed across Shreya's mind.

"Rohit?" Shreya stated but was cut short.

"Stop," Rohit interjected.

"What?" Shreya asked, confused.

"Stop the tape!" Rohit called, this time louder.

The operator stopped as commanded.

"Go back," Rohit instructed and intensely watched the screen. "There, stop."

At the 12.37pm, Rohit had found Deepak bent down next to Shreya's car tyres.

"That son of a..." Rohit muttered before turning around and in a full voice instructed for this footage of Deepak.

Shit! Shreya thought to herself. She had allowed herself to think that Deepak was there to help and support her when in fact, he was using her. She had really liked him as a friend and had thought of him as someone she could rely on. She wondered how long was it since she was a pawn in his game? Shreya knew Deepak and Rohit had bad blood between them. She recalled from earlier that Tania had warned her about Rohit but what about Deepak? Was she protecting him? What was their relationship? How did they know each other. Prior to this, Shreya wanted nothing to do with Tania. Now, she was curious and very determined to find out.

Rohit saw the inner turmoil hit Shreya the moment Deepak had appeared on screen. As much as he hated Deepak, he was Shreya's friend and Aarav's father. Rohit couldn't understand why had he decided to use Shreya. Anger begun to boil under the surface. Now, Rohit definitely wasn't sorry about his actions on Saturday.

"I'm going to show this to Tania," he declared. "What do you want to do?"

"I want to see Deepak," Shreya insisted.

"I'll set it up for...," Rohit started but Shreya interrupted.

"Now," she demanded.

Rohit knew Shreya wasn't the demanding type. She had her reasons.

"Ok," he conceded. "I'll call Tania now and tell her to bring Deepak over to my office. We'll have some privacy there."

Shreya nodded, not being able to get another word out. Tears begun welling up in her eyes, threatening to spill any moment. Not wanting anyone to see it, she burst out of the room and strode quickly back to her car.

Rohit could only stare at Shreya's figure as she left. He had to stay behind to get a copy of the clip and arrange a meeting on Shreya's behalf. Rohit honestly felt sorry and angry for her. In that moment, he wanted nothing more than to pull her into his arms and comfort her. Rohit forcibly shook the thought out of his head. Angry first, comforting later. Rohit picked up his phone and dialed for Tania first. Instead of asking her to inform Deepak, Rohit decided to personally call him up.

"Shreya wants to meet you," he told Deepak.

"If she wants to meet me," Deepak replied. "She'd call me herself."

"Sehgal Group HQ," Rohit continued, ignoring Deepak's statement. "Be there in an hour."

***

A/N: Now we know what Deepak was scheming during the fashion show. Protective Rohit mode on. I can't wait for more tea to spill. Go kitty go!!!