Chapter 43

A/N: And it's the dinner!!! Excited!!!

***

Dinner at his mother's had never been an affair Rohit looked forward to. To add on to his worries, it was Shreya's first time there, not counting the time she when she was outside begging to meet him.

"Mohan Kaka!" Kavya exclaimed as the door opened. She pushed past Rohit and pulled the older man into a hug. "I missed you."

"Arre Kavya Baby?" Mohan called out as he was slightly taken aback by the teenager's action. Rohit cleared his throat and Kavya released him. "Rohit Baba aur yeh (and this is)..."

"Shreya Kapoor," Shreya said, extending her hand.

"Meri ma (My mother)," Kavya gleefully added.

Mohan folded his hands and slightly bowed to her while uttering a soft "Namaste". Shreya followed suit.

"Madamji is upstairs," Mohan informed them.

"That's ok," Rohit replied. "We'll wait at the dinning room for her"

Mohan nodded and escorted the group to the dining table. He then excused himself, disappearing into the house. Rohit took his usual place while Kavya sat opposite him. Shreya was about to walk over to sit beside her daughter but Rohit caught hold of her hand. He then guided her to the empty seat beside him. Shreya was taken aback by the action but obliged. Kavya caught that exchange and gave her father a cheeky smile which he returned with a stern look that told her to behave herself.

It was then that Mohan reappeared with Nandini. Kavya immediately got up and touched her feet. Rohit, on the other hand, remained seated. He unconsciously tighten his hold on Shreya's hand, strong sense of resentment bubbled within him.

"Rohit," Shreya called under her breath.

Rohit didn't realize how tight he had held on to her hand until he saw white around where he had been gripping on to her. He instantly let go.

"Sorry," he muttered. "Are you ok?"

Shreya nodded inconspicuously in return.

"If you're done with whatever you're doing," Nandini spoke up. "Shall we have dinner?"

Shreya looked down, avoiding Nandini's gaze and uttered a soft sorry.

After that exchange, the entire dinner was silent. The only sounds were the clicking and clacking of utensils, the atmosphere was tensed. This continued until Mohan was clearing up after dessert.

"I thought this was supposed to be a family meeting?" Nandini said, permeating the silence. "Why are you so quiet, Kavya?"

"Right," Kavya nervously responded. She looked up at her parents for support and her father gave her a nod to start. She took in a huge breath to brace herself.

"I'm going to work for Deepak Arora's legal firm," she let out.

"What?!" Shreya let slip. The three adults couldn't believe their ears but as compared to Shreya's outburst, Nandini was a picture of calm.

"I've arranged everything and I start tomorrow," she continued. "Aarav has exams coming up so I'll just be temporarily helping out until he's done. It's the least I can do for Aarav after he saved my life."

"I forbid it," Nandini admonished, finally having enough of it. "I would've let it slide if you didn't know better. Despite everything, why would you do such a thing?"

"I owe Aarav this," Kavya retorted. "He saved my life. If he hadn't been there that night, who knows what would have happened. I might not even be sitting here tonight."