Chapter 34

A/N: And we continue the conversation / tea spilling session... Omg, kitty what are you doing now?!

Kitty: Meow.

***

Rohit was stunned by the revelation.

"Why me?" Rohit queried.

"I may not run with your crowd but I do run in the same crowd as Aman," she explained. "Or rather, I used to. When he came back from boarding school, at least in the first year, the only person he kept talking about was you. It was Rohit this, Rohit that. How great of a person you were, how different you were from the other boys, how you didn't care about his background..."

"Aman used to write to this girl called Shona," he interjected. "Were you..."

"Oh my god!" Shreya cut in, horrified. "Absolutely not! Shona's a friend of mine."

Rohit looked apologetically at her.

"I'm sorry," he apologized. "The thing is we've never met her and we always thought Shona was never real. We thought he was just writing to some figment of his imagination."

"Shona is as real as you and me," she stopped his train of thoughts.

"Got it," Rohit cleared his throat and reverted to the initial topic. "You said you chose that university because I went there?"

"My parents were a bit protective so they wanted me to go somewhere nearer to home," she shared. "I had a few in mind but since Aman had already gained entry thanks to your financial help... Other than it being one of the best universities around, I thought it'll be a good chance to finally meet you."

Rohit's jaw tightened.

"And did we meet?" Rohit inquired.

Shreya nodded in response.

"We met at a party," she revealed. "Aman invited a few of us to one of those senior parties and introduced us."

The picture. Was that the night they met? Why couldn't he recall anything?

"What were we?" Rohit asked, cutting straight to the chase.

Shreya knew that question would come but she hoped it would be later rather than now. Luckily, she didn't need to answer as Rohit understood what her silence meant.

"How long?"

"2 and a half years," she replied.

2 and a half years?! They were together for 2 and a half years and he couldn't remember anything from it.

"Were we happy?" Rohit questioned.

A memory reel begun playing in Shreya's mind. Were they happy? Shreya felt sad for him. Those were some of the best times of her life and the person she shared them with can't remember anything.

"Yes," she settled.

"We loved each other?" Rohit stated more than asked.

"Yes," she confirmed.

They loved each other. Judging by how his body naturally responded to Shreya, he must have really loved her in what seemed like a lifetime ago.

"Do you still love me?" Rohit needed to know.

That was a very loaded question. How was she going to respond to that? She had been in love with him ever since the first time they met. But does she still love him the same way as it was back then? No. Does she care for him? Yes.

"Rohit, I..."

"No more lies," he said. "Look me in the eyes and tell me the truth. Please?"

She raised her downcast eyes to look at him. So much pain, so much longing.