Chapter 28

A/N: Previously on last chapter's opening A/N, tea over boils. Author turns off the stove, pours a full cup of tea. Suddenly, a kitty appears and rubs against the author's legs. Cup of tea sloshes... Oops...

***

Obtaining the car park video footage was more complicated than it seemed. The carpark security had sent the tapes to their HQ which meant Rohit had to drive down there to view it for himself. On his way there, he realized the office was near his old university so, he took a detour there. His old alma mater looked exactly like how he remembered it. The took a quick stroll into the academic block and it was like a nostalgic trip down memory lane. He walked even deeper into the campus, pass the classrooms and lecture hall to get to the student center.

Behind the student center was a backup power generator house, it was all fenced up to avoid trespassing but Rohit knew a way to sneak in. Aman wasn't in the same intake as him which meant he had to spend a few semesters alone. It had become something of a comfort spot for him to hide out when university life overwhelmed him or when he just needed a quiet spot to chill.

Like he used to, Rohit did a quick scan of his surroundings to make sure no one was watching him and then begun ascending a tree nearby to get onto the roof. What he didn't expect when reaching the top was to find someone already in his spot. Initially, he thought it was a student but upon closer inspection, he realized it was... Shreya? How did she find this place? Or better, how did she climb all the way up? In heels! He leapt onto the roof, accidentally scaring Shreya in the process.

"Sorry," he muttered and made his way towards her.

"Rohit?" Shreya asked, surprised. "What are you doing here?"

Rohit plonked himself next to her.

"I was in the surrounding area," he answered. "So, I took a detour. How did you even find this place?"

"I used to study here," she stated.

"Of course," he mumbled, under his breath.

He didn't attempt to question her further and the two sat in silence, taking in the scene in front of them.

"Rohit-"

"Shreya-"

The both of them said at the same time.

"You go first," Shreya told him.

Rohit took a breath, squared his jaw and then started.

"I was on my way to a security firm," he revealed. "I believe what happened to your car at the fashion show on Friday wasn't an accident. I think it was a move by Deepak to make sure I didn't attend Tania's show and in turn, get at me during the Merchant Guild's Party."

"He wouldn't do that," Shreya rebutted. "He's my friend."

"He's also my business rival's son," Rohit replied. He then turned to face her. "Look Shreya, I don't know how much you know about our families but the Sehgals and the Aroras have been in a generational business war. There's nothing our families haven't done to each other to get ahead. I know this because there's somethings I've done that I'm not proud of."

"Rohit," Shreya said. "I need you to be honest with me. Will Kavya-"

"Absolutely not," Rohit cut her off. "I will do anything and everything I can to make sure Kavya doesn't get involved in this meaningless rivalry."

Shreya nodded.

"What are you going to do about Deepak if he really is the culprit?" Shreya questioned.

"I haven't thought that far," Rohit sighed. "But it definitely wouldn't be a repeat of Saturday. What was it that you wanted to tell me?"

"I met up with Tania over lunch," she confessed. "It's nothing malicious, she just wanted to talk."

Rohit nodded.

"I have no issue with that," he said. "She's been wanting to work with you even before finding out about Kavya. I guess, now we know why you never did."

Shreya gave him an apologetic smile.

"Why did you choose to have Kavya?" Rohit asked. "I'm not questioning your intentions, I'm just curious. You hardly knew me back then."

Shreya shifted uncomfortably.

"When I told my parents I was pregnant," she started. "They threw me out."

Memories that were eerily similar to her encounter earlier that day flooded her mind.

"And at that moment, Kavya became the only family I had," Shreya continued.

"I'm so sorry," Rohit said.

"It's alright," Shreya responded. "Kavya's the best thing that happened to me. Would I like things to happen under better circumstances? Sure, but I don't regret anything."

"What happened after that?" Rohit asked.

"I had Kavya," Shreya replied. "Completed the rest of my academic year, got a scholarship to London and the rest is history."

"Why didn't you reach out?" Rohit asked.

Rohit saw a flash of panic cross her eyes but Shreya chose to laugh it off instead.

"And say what?" Shreya chuckled. "Hi I'm Shreya Kapoor, you might not remember me but I'm pregnant with your child?"

Rohit was about to say something when suddenly, his phone rang. He picked it up but his gaze never left Shreya.

"That was the security firm," he explained. "They found the tape."

Shreya nodded and stood up.

"We should get going," Shreya said and held her hand out to Rohit to help him up. "I still find it surprising that no one's found us here."

He hesitantly took it and climbed onto his feet.

"You said we," Rohit pointed out.

"It's my car," Shreya reminded him. "If it's anyone's concern, it should be mine."

"What are you going to do if it's really Deepak?" Rohit mirrored her question from earlier.

"We'll see," she offered. "I haven't had the time to think that far."

"Give me your keys," Rohit insisted. "I'll drive you while you think about it."

"I'm capable of driving myself," Shreya retorted. "And didn't you drive earlier? What are you going to do with your car?"

"We're both headed to the same place," Rohit said. "We don't need two cars. I'll get one of the security guys to drive my car back home, my spare key's at home, they know where it is. If you're headed back to your office later, I'll pick Kavya up and we'll wait for you."

"I'm done for the day," she said. "Why don't you just be the navigator and I'll do the driving? Don't you trust me?"

"I didn't say that," he raised in hand in defense. When they reached the edge of the roof, Rohit held out his hand. "Do you need help getting down?"

Shreya didn't answer, instead, she kicked off her heels and threw them towards the bottom of the tree. She then slid down the tree with relative ease.

"Need help?" Shreya mocked.

Instead of climbing down, Rohit leapt off the roof. He landed in a squat, right next to Shreya. A victorious smile spread across his face.

"Show off," Shreya muttered as she put her heels back on and walked off, leading the way.

With Shreya walking a few steps ahead of him, he could suddenly picture her, the younger her, the from the album, walking through campus. Bright eyed, intelligent, witty, kind... She would have been popular with everyone, teachers and students alike.

***

A/N: I really like developing the relationship between Shreya and Rohit and them learning and adjusting to each other.

Also, I had to split this chapter into 2 because it was getting very long. So, the next update wouldn't take too long.