Chapter 31

A/N: Now let's see how things work out after last chapter's events.

***

Upon noticing the distressed Kavya, Shreya immediately went over to her, ignoring everyone else.

"Kav-," she tried to comfort but was met with opposition.

"Is this true?" Kavya questioned. "The reason why I didn't have a father was because daadi (grandma) threatened you?"

Shreya looked at Rohit who had freed himself from Deepak's grasps and was looking intently at her, then flickered her attention at Nandini who's back was facing her. In that moment, Shreya made a difficult choice.

Shreya nodded, confirming the news.

Kavya's hand flew to her mouth in disbelief as a gasp escaped.

"You lied to me?" Kavya asked. "The whole story about you two being strangers and having a drunken one night stand and..."

"That was partially a lie," Shreya admitted. "But I swear, Kavya, that was it. I've never lied about anything else."

By this time, tears had been streaming down both Kavya and Shreya's eyes.

"I don't believe this," Kavya muttered, pushing her mother away.

"Kav," Aarav said, trying to comfort her. "It's ok."

"It's not ok!" Kavya exclaimed. "How am I supposed to recover from this? Did you know about this?"

Aarav took a step back in defense. The look on his face said it all.

"You knew!" Kavya snapped. "You knew and you never told me? I thought we were friends!"

"Kav-," Aarav started but was cut off by Kavya.

"No!" Kavya shot. Immediately, she turned on her heels and ran.

Shreya who had been caught off guard by Kavya's sudden reaction tried to reach out to grab her but missed.

"Kavya!" Shreya shouted but it fell on deaf ears. So, she started running after Kavya. Unfortunately, her heels weren't much help so she lagged slightly behind.

Aarav was also about to give chase when he heard his name being called by his father. He instantly froze in his spot.

Rohit who was silent moments ago suddenly pushed past everyone and also started chasing after Kavya.

"Kavya stop!" Rohit called out.

Instead of answering, Kavya pushed the elevator button to bring her down. When she noticed Rohit and Shreya was getting too close, she frantically hit the close button until the lift doors closed after her, forcing her parents to take the next lift.

"If anything happens to Kavya," Nandini warned. "I won't spare you. I spared you once when you caused Rohit's accident. Not this time."

Deepak could only let out a menacing smile.

"If you hadn't schemed your way through life," Deepak returned. "You wouldn't end up in this position."

Nandini stood planted as she watched Deepak leave with Aarav.

By the entrance of the building, Tania had just got into her car without realizing what had just transpired upstairs. When she saw a teary eyed Kavya racing out of the entrance, she was confused. When did she arrive? Only when Shreya and Rohit appeared, frantic, that she realized something must have happened.

"Rohit?" Tania called out. "Shreya? What happened?"

Shreya immediately ran up to Tania.

"Did you see which way Kavya went?" Shreya frantically called out.