Chapter 44

A/N: It's Kavya's first day at Deepak's office. They grow up so fast 😭😭😭.

***

Immediately after school, Kavya allowed her father to drop her off at Deepak Arora's legal firm. While the two men had a quick chat, Aarav was instructed to show her around.

"This place is more of a maze than an office," Kavya remarked. "And what's with all the secret doors?"

"This is a legal firm," he replied. "Which means we see a lot of private and confidential documents. To deter corporate spies or basically anyone from snooping around, my dad's decided to build his office in a way where it makes lives difficult for people to steal documents or any information at all."

Kavya nodded.

"If that's all," Aarav said and handed a box to her. "Here's your tag, access codes and a bit of light reading to get you started."

Kavya peered into the box. Light reading? Between homework, her plan and actual work, she'd probably take the whole two months to complete the manuals.

"If you ever need anything," Aarav told her. "I'm always a phone call away. Now, that we're done with the formalities, I'm going to head to cramp school. Good luck."

And with that, Aarav left Kavya waiting in the office. Kavya went over to Aarav's desk slightly aside from the main office. She placed her things neatly on the table and the drawer that Aarav had cleared out for her. Soon, Deepak Arora entered and Kavya instinctively stood up.

"Are you settling down fine?" Deepak asked.

"Yes," she replied. "Thank you. Do you need me to do anything yet?"

"Your homework," he told her. "Aarav has to always finish his homework before he runs errands for me. I expect the same from you."

Kavya nodded and sat down.

An awkward silence permeated between them but neither one of them dared to breech it. Kavya pulled out her books and started on her first assignment. It was going to be a long day.

Deepak couldn't help but sneak a few glances at her. Given Rohit's reaction, he was also blindsided by her request to work for the firm. He decided it was best of he kept her at arms length until he could figure out what was going on and what to do with her.

***

Shreya felt restless being left alone at home. Now that her daughter had decided to get a job, she had hours to kill. The silence was deafening and Shreya felt the need to get out. Despite the bandages, her ankle had healed enough that she wasn't limping anymore (although, Rohit and Kavya constantly treated her like glass). Unfortunately for her, her car was left at Rohit's place and if she dared to go back for it, she knew she was going to endure a whole lecture from Rohit. The same thing were to happen if she returned to her office or called her cousins but instead of Rohit, she had to deal with Kavya.

Shreya had no choice but to call a cab. A few hours at the mall wouldn't do any harm and after all, they were running low on groceries. It was about half an hour in when she heard a very familiar voice call out to her. She silently cursed at her bad fortune.

"Shreya di (sister)," it was Sunny, her cousin Ayesha's husband. "I knew it was you the moment I laid eyes on you."

"Hi Sunny," she awkwardly greeted. "What are you doing here?"

"I was at the music store launching an album," he responded.

"Kabir's not here is he?" Shreya asked, eyes widening. Kabir was Ayesha's older brother and Sunny's client. Although he was on rocky ground with the rest of the family, Kabir wouldn't hesitate snitching on her.