Chapter 3

A/N: It's the raining season in this part of the world so, I legit wrote this part under my fort loads of blankets (I'm so tempted to build a blanket fort rn)...  <- unnecessary detail but it's so cold my idk if my brain works well enough... If you spot any mistakes, I'm blaming it on the weather!!!

***

Surprisingly for Rohit and Shreya, Kavya and Tania had taken the news well. Kavya understood where Rohit's intentions came from and Tania knew that if she didn't agree with him, Rohit and her will be history.

Rohit and Shreya had mutually agreed to keep Kavya out of the court proceedings (despite of Kayva's constant protest) and from the newspaper headlines. They had decided that this was the fairest and least damaging way to settle this matter.

However, it didn't take long before the news agencies caught wind of the shocking scandal. Rohit and Shreya's pictures have been plastered on every newspaper, magazine and website. They had even tried going after Kavya but that was until Rohit had issued a warning to sue them if it ever happened. Thankfully, it never did.

Unfortunately for Shreya, due to Rohit's influence, no lawyer is willing or brave enough to take up the case and go against him. It was then that her cousin, the famed musician, Kabir Varma's connections came in handy.

Deepak Arora, the son of business tycoon, Vijay Arora, was a well known lawyer and a close friend of his family's. He has a 90% success rate and personally hand-picked all his cases. Therefore, when Kabir mentioned that Deepak was interested in her case, she was curious as to what this lawyer was like.

Thus, Shreya finds herself waiting in a luxurious lobby that seemed more fitting for a modeling agency rather than a lawyer's office.

"Shreya Kapoor?" The receptionist called out. "Mr. Arora will see you now."

She followed the receptionist into a room that could be easily be missed as the door was looked like it was part of the wall. The receptionist led Shreya in and announced her arrival. The room was spacious and was brightly lit. In the middle of the room was a sofa set and at the end of the room was a large wooden desk and a swivelling chair whose back was facing them. The receptionist excused herself and exited the room. It seemed that the occupant of the chair was currently engaged in a phone discussion.

"There's someone here," she heard him say. "I'll call you back."

The chair spun around to reveal a young man who looked not much older than Kavya. Was she at the right place?

"Mr. Arora?" Shreya asked, unsure. He does look a bit too young to be a lawyer.

"Yes," he answered.

"I'm Shreya Kapoor," she introduced herself. "Kabir Varma's cousin. He mentioned you were able to help..."

'Mr Arora' motioned her to stop and turned around.

What in the world was he up to?

"Dad! There's someone here for you!"

OK... That makes more sense.

"I'm Aarav Arora," the boy said to Shreya. "The Arora you're looking for would be my father, Deepak Arora. I'm a little bit too young to be a lawyer. And even if I am old enough, I'd never be one."

Shreya could feel red tinge creep up her cheeks. Well, that was... Embarrassing...

Then from behind Aarav, another secret door opened. What's up with this guy and secret doors?

"Miss Kapoor," a voice called out. "I'm sorry to keep you waiting."

The owner of the voice, Deepak Arora, she assumed, was also nothing like what she imagined him to be. He was tall, tanned and had an incredible chiseled jawline. If not for her heels, she would only come up to his shoulders. He looked too young to be a father to a teenager. But then again, who was she to judge? She had Kavya.

"Mr Deepak Arora?" Shreya asked, this time, using his full name to avoid anymore mishaps.

"Yes," he replied. "I hope my son wasn't troubling you. He can be quite a cheeky one when he wants to."

"Not at all," she replied.

"So, Miss Kapoor..." he started before getting cut off by Shreya.

"Just Shreya would be fine," she said.

"OK," he replied. "Shreya, did you bring the court notice and all the relevant documents?"

"Yes," she said as she passed him the file. "Here's all the case details."

Deepak led Shreya to the sofa set in the middle of the room as he looked through the file. They sat in silence for a while before he started.

"This case isn't a very hard one to win if we deal the right cards," he told her. "However, Rohit Sehgal isn't a very gullible opponent. We mustn't underestimate him. Miss Shreya, what is your motive?"

She looked at him, a bit taken aback. Why does everyone assume she had a hidden agenda?

"I just want my daughter," she replied. "That's all."

"Rohit Verma is a rich man, Shreya," he said, still unconvinced. "You can ask for anything. Money? Property? His company?"

"Excuse me?!" Shreya snapped. She stood up and grabbed her things, even the case papers out of Deepak's hands. What wrong with all these people?!? "Did you call me here to insult me? If you don't want to take up this case, I'm sure there's another lawyer who's willing to help!"

Deepak could only stare a her in shock, he hadn't planned for it to go this way. The whole situation must really be hard on her. He looked over at his son who casted him a 'you're on your own' look. Her daughter was the about the same age as Aarav. If this were to happen to him, wouldn't he react in the same way?

Deepak stood up, blocking Shreya's path.

"I'm sorry, Shreya," he said. "I didn't mean it that way. Please take a seat."

Thankfully, she calmed down as did as she was told. However, she was still warry around him.

"What I meant was," he said, finding a way to word his sentence properly. He didn't want to risk insulting her again. "You could claim it as compensation. All these years you were raising your daughter on your own. Things must have been really hard on you."

"It was," she replied. "But it's all worth it in the end. Mr Arora, I just want my daughter. I don't care about anything else."

"I'll try my best," he told her. "And please call me Deepak. There are too many Mr Aroras around here."

He casts a knowing look at his son who replied with a sheepish smile.

Things are starting to look up for Shreya after all.

***

A/N: If you've read my Love Therapy and/or In Love With My Brother's Best Friend, you'll know why the names Kabir Varma and Deepak Arora sounds so familiar... Kabir wouldn't be playing a huge role in this book but Deepak will... Keep reading to find out why ♥️♥️♥️