Chapter 4 | out

Today the Agrestes assistant had to drag herself out of bed to work. She felt ok today, a little weak in the legs but as long as she wasn't lightheaded or dizzy she'd be fine. Although he was thinking about getting herself a crutch or something just for a little help around.

Sitting at the vanity she twisted her hair back into the usual work bun and pinned her fringe back out of her eyes. The red streak was getting a little faded, she'd need to touch it up soon. Picking up the golden chain from the jewellery rack she put it around her neck. No one really saw it, as it was always tucked under her red shirt, but she always wore it.

Emilie gave it to her not long after they first met. It was a birthday present, a golden necklace with a charm consisting of angel wings on a ruby heart. She remembered being shocked when she got it, wondering why Emilie would spend so much money on her. But she treasured it nonetheless.

She got up, taking a second for her vision to clear when she got up too fast. Heading up to Adriens room, she knocked on the door.

"Time to go Adrien" she called out, her voice still a little strained from being sick.

The boy didn't take long to grab his bag and walk out the door following her to the car.

"Are you sure you'll be ok?" He asked.

"It's only a few errands. I'll be alright, plus you want to go to band practice don't you?" She replied.

"Yeah, I'm surprised father let me"

"I have my ways of getting you what you want sometimes"

They got into the car, heading off toward Lukas place where band practice was alway held. Adrien seemed quieter than usual, he still had that look of contemplating on his face. He wanted to say something, Nathalie could tell. But she still didn't want to push him and stayed silent.

"Hey, where'd you get that necklace?" Adrien pointed out.

She glanced down, eyes away from the road for a second to find she'd forgotten to tuck it in.

"Oh, I forgot to tuck it in... your mother gave it to me back before you were even born. It was a birthday present" she replied.

"Is that a ruby? Seems like something she'd do, she always gave people she liked lavish gifts"

"She definitely had that knack for finding expensive jewellery I'll give her that"

Adrien reached over to take a closer look at the charm, Nathalie didn't mind. As long as he didn't bump her while driving he was fine.

"It's so pretty, she always did have a good eye for jewellery" he said.

"I was rather shocked she spent so much money on me at first, but I always wear it now. Although my shirt usually covers it, I still like to wear it" Nathalie explained.

Adrien had always known Nathalie had known the family since before he was born, but he never realised just how close she and his mother were until recently. Nathalie had always been so caught up in work she'd braver had the time to tell him stories of their past.

"Hey... after practice can you tell me stories from before I was born? You and mum have known each other so long but I barely know anything about it" Adrien asked.

"Sure... I can dig a few memories from my brain for you. Although you're much too young to hear about our university party stories" Nathalie replied.

He snickered, knowing his hectic those parties can be from movies.

"Oh god you two didn't get arrested or anything did you?"

"No, but we did come close to it. That's a story for when you're older"

Now he was curious, but he didn't want to push his luck so he'd just have to wait. Just knowing a few stories would be enough for him, hearing them was therapeutic in a way, he liked to think about his mum in a positive light.

They pulled up at the curb, seeing the band and a few friends already at the docks were the houseboat was.

"Alright, have fun. I'll be back around 5ish" Nathalie said.

"Thanks! Be careful ok?" Adrien replied.

"I will, don't worry about me. Go have fun"

He gave her a quick hug as a thank you and grabbed his bag, jumping out of the car and excitedly running up to the boat to meet his friends.

"He really is a ray of sunshine that kid..." she sighed, happy to see him smile for once in a while.

Before she drive off to head to the next errand, she noticed him run past the others and jump straight onto Luka, the two wrapping arms around each other tightly. It reminded her of how Emilie used to jump on her after university ended for the day. He and Luka must be closer than she realised.

She left for her next errand, Adrien finally able to see his friends outside of school again.

"You made it!" Luka smiled.

"Nathalie pulled some strings" Adrien replied.

"Ayy so she's not as whack as your dad" jueleka added.

"Nowhere near. Actually she's been a lot closer with me recently, probably because she has less work in recovery and had the time to actually sit down and talk to me"

Adriens friends all knew that his dad was strict as hell, not so much about the borderline abusive part... but they were glad to hear at least SOMEONE in the household was keeping Adrien company.

"We're still setting up, we can play in a minute" rose said.

"You need any help?" Adrien asked.

"We're almost done, it's alright!"

Luka took the chance to pull the boy aside, checking in on him as he always did.

"Hey, you feeling better?" He asked.

"Actually... yeah. Nathalie said she'd tell me stories about my mum from before I was born so I'm kinda exited about that" Adrien replied.

"That sounds nice, must be therapeutic in a way"

"It is, I guess talking about her keeps her memory alive in a way. Like she's still around you know?"

Adrien always appreciated how much Luka checked up on him. No one else really did, so it meant a lot to him.

"If you ever want to info dump about your mum, I'm right here. From everything you said so far she seems like an amazing person" Luka offered.

"She was, I could go on and on. Maybe I'll tell you some stories sometime" Adrien replied.

"I'll be willing to listen as long as you need"

"Thanks Luka... you know I- uh... really appreciate you always checking up on me. Makes me assured you know?"

"Of course, I know everything is a mess right now so I just want to make sure you're ok. I'm always here"

He reached out and pulled Adrien into a hug, which he gladly accepted. Luka was always so warm... and he smelled like fresh fruit. His hugs were always so comforting. Maybe things were actually looking up for Adrien right now.

Although he did have that little problem about... you know, liking boys. It was Luka that made him realise, should he tell him? Maybe when they weren't surrounded by a bunch of people. And maybe when he was more used to the idea. He was still processing coming out to himself after all, it was a recent realisation.

Luka would definitely be one of the first to know though. He was trustworthy, that bi flag hanging on his roof was proof enough.