Chapter 47 | the end of an era

It didn't take long for the city to realise the lack of akuma attacks over the past handful of weeks, and unsurprisingly people had questions. So the heroes had organised a press conference of sorts to break the news, as soon as the information hit the ladybug, the media went nuts to secure a spot for their cameras and microphones at the base of the Eiffel Tower where the heroes had set up a makeshift press conference area.

It began at midday, pretty much every journalist in the country was surrounding them and Ladybug had announced that any and all questions would be answered, expect for their identities of course.

And so, the flurry of questions began.

"Ok, ok! One at a time please. Form a line and we can get through this in an orderly fashion" she calmed the bustling crowd.

The media were quick to follow her orders, and one by one news reporters began to ask questions.

"Have the akuma attacks stopped? What's happened to hawkmoth?"

Ladybug leaned into the microphone pointed her way to make this announcement loud and clear.

"I'm very pleased to announce that we have retrieved the butterfly and peacock miraculous. As most people know by now, Gabriel Agreste turned out the be the one behind everything. I can't answer any questions about his upcoming trail, as well... it hasn't happened yet and I don't know the results. But we will be testifying" she explained.

"What about Mayura? Will she be convicted?" The reporter added.

Feeling defensive of Nathalie, Cat Noir took the microphone.

"After finding out the truth of the situation we found that Mayura had been taken advantage of, and due to the miraculous being damaged at the time she fell almost deathly ill because of it. She's a victim in all of this as well, and while she acknowledges she did play a part in the attacks, she feels deep regret for it and even helped us capture the miraculous. By all accounts she isn't dangerous, she was just used. Her identity is staying secret and she won't be convicted because of that, and is currently in recovery" Cat Noir explained.

Nathalie and Emilie setting things up in the new house with the help of Lukas parents, and probably watching this interview on TV as it was happing. Adrien knew that Nathalie would be glad he was sticking up for her.

"Will the heroes be needed from here on out? Now hawkmoth is gone will you both be active?" The next reporter asked.

"We will be, and if the others are needed they'll be given their miraculous as well. We can still help fight crime, and if another magic force ever shows up we will be on standby to fight. We will continue patrolling, we just may not be getting into as many city shattering fights anymore" Ladybug replied.

The fans of the heroes seemed pleased with that, none of them wanted their idols to just vanish now hawkmoth was gone. They did want them to have a break after this mess, yes. But not be gone forever.

"Will we hear the full story of what lead you to finding Gabriel's identity as Hawkmoth during the trail?" The next reporter asked.

"Everything we can legally say will be told during the trail. You'll all get the full story eventually, it's a very long one and requires a lot of explaining small details" Ladybug answered.

"Can I ask how the whole hawkmoth situation had affected your lives as teenagers? That's pretty young to be superheroes"

The two thought for a moment, there was a lot to being a hero and in school with a still developing brain. Especially when hawkmoth ended up being your abusive dad and the other had the miracle box as guardian.

"Well... it's been very stressful at times, but it's rewarding. I'll admit there's moments I've been sacred for my life during fights, and times I've had to run out of important life events to go take care of a villain. But for the sake of the city and the once in a life time experience it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make" Ladybug explained.

The microphone turned to Cat Noir, who took a moment to gather his words.

"It's... very freeing. Being Cat Noir means I can escape from the stress of personal life and have fun for a while, in truth when the villain isn't particularly dangerous it's a lot of fun to swing around the city. There have been scary moments, and I have become an expert at making excuses to sneak off and transform, but for the most part it's been a rewarding experience. The stressful parts pass eventually" he replied.

There was a lot more he couldn't go into without revealing his identity, but he felt that was a good enough answer to get the message across without revealing anything. As the next reporter approached, the heroes immediately held back a sigh of annoyance when they saw the logo on the microphone. The gossip news outlet, no doubt they'd be asking non-serious questions as usual.

"How has the experience bought you closer? As partners? Friends? A couple?" They asked.

Well... it's wasn't an awful question. But clearly bait for relationship gossip.

"Actually, it's made us best friends. We can truest each other with our lives and we know that if anything ever goes wrong the other will always be there for us. We work well as a team because we had to learn and adapt together as a duo. But that's all we are, best friends. And all we ever will be. Any kisses that occurred in the past were because of akumas, they had no undertones" Ladybug explained, trying to make it crystal clear.

Adrien pondered a moment, he knew of a sure fire way to stop the relationship rumours for good. He hesitated for a moment out of fear, but upon remembering that his dad was in jail, and no one knew who he was under the mask, he suddenly became eager to tell. It would get a massive weight off his chest to tell everybody publicly.

"Actually... this is probably a good time to address something" he spoke up.

Ladybug knew what it was, and she gave him a concerned look. Worried this might have rushed him into it, but he just nodded, telling her it was ok and he was ready. The microphones turned to him and his heart raced.

"While I understand where all the relationship ideas come from, I can assure you that there's nothing beyond friendship between us because... I'm already in a relationship... with a boy" he admitted.

Immediately there was chatter among the crowd, no one expecting the sudden announcement.

"I know he's watching this, I'm not sure if he'd be comfortable with revealing who he is so I'll refrain from saying his-"

Before he could continue, his staff beeped and he slid up the phone compartment to check it. Just as he'd expected, it was Luka.

Scales: it's ok, tell them. I want to see fanart lol.

He laughed, shaking his head. Of course...

"Scratch that he just told me it's ok. It's Viperion, I'm dating Viperion. And he wants fanart so get on it fans" Cat said.

Ladybug snickered, of course he wanted fanart that's just like Luka.

"That's a whole other story, for another time. But it's about time I put the relationship rumours to rest and finally came out. Girls are nice and all, but boys are good too and I managed to find the best one there is" Cat smiled, the cameras recording him showing Luka everything that was happening back at the house.

He was helping unpack things into Adrien's new room, watching the broadcast on his phone. He smiled at the loving comment, pressing the push pins that held up the photos of them together into the pinboard he'd just hung up for Adrien. Smiling he giggled to himself in joy.

"I love you too kitty cat"