Chapter 33 | breaking point

As if the timing couldn't be better.

Mere days after Nathalie had met with the heroes about their plan, things in the Agreste household started to get tense. It seemed Gabriel was becoming suspicious of how often Adrien was going out to see his friends over at Lukas place. He knew they were in a band, and did practice on the weekends. But he'd finally grown wise to the fact it wasn't just the weekends they'd hang out there, it was every other day.

Gabriel being Gabriel, found that unacceptable. How dare his son have a safe place? An escape? A place where he couldn't control his son?

It was sunset, they'd just gotten back from a meeting about the company Adrien had been dragged along to for some reason. Probably just for show, to look like they were a closer family than they were. But the whole ride home, it was silent.

The father and son didn't say a word to each other, Adrien was tense. He knew something was up. And Gabriel was waiting until they got home to speak up.

As soon as they got through the front doors, Adrien went to head upstairs back to his room as usual. But this time, his father stopped him.

"Adrien"

He froze, tense.

"Yes?" He replied.

"What exactly are you and your friends doing nowadays?" Gabriel asked.

Adrien gave him a slightly confused look. He wasn't expecting this, he was expecting some nitpickiy comment about his professionalism at the meeting.

"Oh? Just... band practice and homework mainly... why?" He replied.

"It's just, you've been going out an awful lot"

"Well, we have assignments to do. And songs to write, you know. It's not like we can really do that over a phone call, we need to be there in person to work together efficiently"

Gabriel narrowed his gaze, looking down at his son skeptically.

"Nothing else?" He asked.

"I mean... we get food sometimes?" Adrien replied.

Now that Adrien was wise to Gabriel's manipulation, he had his guard up. If his dad tried anything to skew the narrative, he'd call that out and stop him.

"I'm a bit worried about that group you're hanging out with, they seem to be a bad influence" Gabriel said.

"What? How?" Adrien replied, a little offended.

"The rock music, the edgy style, the lack of discipline. It all rubs me the wrong way, it's unprofessional"

"Dad... they're musicians. Artists. Alternative styles are kind of a big thing in that scene"

"Don't give me attitude-"

Adrien furrowed his brow slight, a little angry at the sudden aggression. As well as the insinuation that Luka and his family as well as the band were some kind of gang of thugs just for liking rock.

"How am I giving you at-" Adrien began.

"Don't talk back to me. I think this sudden rebellious streak is yours is coming from that group. Especially those kids of Jagged Stone's. No wonder they're so wild with him as their father-" Gabriel cut off.

Now Adrien was getting really angry. Not only did his dad bring this up out of the blue to try and get some kind of sick kick from the power he held over his son, but he was shit talking his boyfriend and his family.

"Actually, father... they're some of the nicest people I've ever met. My rebellious streak is coming from my pent up anger" Adrien scoffed, crossing his arms annoyed.