Chapter 7 | distracted

Adrien was way too distracted today, he couldn't stop thinking about that encounter with Mayura the other night. He'd ended up just gazing into nothing deep in thought.

Maybe Mayura wasn't bad after all? Maybe she was just wrapped up with the wrong person, or so driven my heartbreak she used her power for evil? She did even risk her life using a broken miraculous... heartbreak was a powerful emotion.

"Duuudee... DUDE!"

He snapped out of his daze, turning to face Nino who was already finished with his worksheet for class.

"Huh?" He said.

"You good? You look like you've seen a ghost" Nino asked.

"Uh yeah! Just kinda... thinking I guess"

"About what?"

He couldn't mention the Mayura thing, and he was still a bit worried about coming out... but he could mention that Nathalie had told him stories about his mother.

"Oh, Nathalie told me some stories about my mum from before I was born the other day. I just like remembering them you know? It's nice to think about how much fun she had when she was alive" Adrien explained.

"Didn't you mention she was a bit of a party animal?" Nino asked.

"Oh yeah, she loved to throw parties. And according to Nathalie's stories she went to a good amount of university ones as well"

"Aw man, she get drunk and do something stupid?"

"Apparently once she managed win a game of pool ball while black out drunk and got so exited she broke the cue stick" Adrien snickered.

"Damn she must have been REALLY into it to break one of them" Nino laughed.

Sometimes he felt like he was annoying to people when he talked about his mum all the time, so he was glad that his friends found the stories entertaining rather than annoying. Made him feel more justified in his reminiscing.

The bell rang, interrupting their conversation but signalled the end of the day. The class packed up their things and while some went to walk home or catch the bus, others sat on the steps outside waiting to be picked up. Adrien included.

"I'll see you tomorrow dude" Nino said, waving him off.

"See ya!" Adrien called back.

He sat on the edge of the steps, a few other students waiting around as well. Hopefully he wouldn't have to wait long, but it did give him time to think about the whole Mayura thing. He understood where she was coming from completely, wanting a dead loved one back? He wanted his mum back. Although he'd never even considered using the miraculous to do so since he knew the risk was a big one. Plus, ladybug would probably say no.

Although he did want to help her out, even if they couldn't get the loved one back they could at least stop hawkmoth and save the son. Her words about the son really hit him hard, he couldn't believe his similar the situation was to his. If the miraculous' magic didn't blur his ability to connect the dots about identities he'd probably have realised he WAS the son by now. The situations were just too similar...

"Adrien"

Snapped from his daze again, he was met with Luka who was here to wait for his sister so they could go home together.

"Luka!" Adrien smiled.

"You still waiting?" He replied.

"Yeah, hopefully I won't be stuck here long"

"We'll I gotta wait for Jules anyway so I'll keep you company. She's grabbing something from the art room apparently so she'll be a minute"

Luka put his bike against the wall and sat up on the steps next to Adrien.