Chapter 48 | trial

The Gabriel Agreste case was highly publicised, and such a big job it was taking several days. For the past few weeks there'd been many many people in and out of the witness stand, lawyers arguing back and forth, the judge interjecting where it was needed.

Gabriel looked like a wreck. And no doubt he'd only get worse, he'd completely lost himself. If he ended up in a prison that didn't put him in solitary, everyone knew he'd probably end up getting beaten up by the other inmates too. That was the thing about prison, even the murders and kidnappers draw the line when it comes to hurting kids. Child abusers always get jumped in prison, and what had Gabriel done other than be Hawkmoth? Abused his child.

Several of the heroes had been in the stand in the past few days to testify the hawkmoth related stuff, and Adrien just so happened to be 'not feeling well' the day cat noir had to testify. Somehow no one managed to put two and two together, people were just really blind sometimes.

But finally after many days and many of his friends and family testifying, it was Adriens turn. He was prepared to do and say anything to get his sick excuse of a father behind bars, he knew that it was inevitable since he was literal hawkmoth anyway. But he wanted to ensure the most harsh sentence possible, Adrien was going to spill EVERYTHING. He'd mentally prepared all week, making sure he wouldn't break down and cry mid-testimony.

He stood before the jury, his father, lawyers and the witnesses. As well as the whole of Paris who'd undoubtedly be watching the recordings of the trail too. His mother sat in the crowd with Nathalie, up in the front row. They both looked worried for him, holding hands tightly together. Luka was next to him and clearly anxious, he wouldn't stop bouncing his leg and fiddling with his hoodie drawstrings. His sister was in the row behind him with their parents, she put a hand on his shoulder to assure him it'd be ok. Immediately he called a little, the twin bond being like a magic anxiety antidote.

Adrien was a bit anxious himself, but he was prepared. In the divorce, his mother had his last name changed to hers, ridding them of the Agreste name for good. This was the first time he'd heard himself be referred to with that name.

"Adrien Ghram De Vanilly, do you swear under oath to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?" The lawyer began.

"I do" he replied.

"So I'll begin from the start. On the 8th of July you were struck by Gabriel Agreste, is this correct?" She asked.

"Correct" Adrien nodded.

He knew that recalling that day, he'd have to lie a little to cover up the fact Emilie had been dead. Even though it was wrong to lie under oath, he couldn't not. Emilie was legally alive during that time thanks to the wish, so he'd have no choice but to act like she was.

"What caused the argument?" She asked.

"He believed my friends were a bad influence, I got offended and tried to explain they're not" Adrien replied.

"What did he mean by 'bad influence?"

"He is of the opinion that those with edgier styles, alternative interests and life styles are bad news. He believes they lead immoral lives"

Adrien glared at his father in anger, still offended that he'd insinuate something like that about Luka and his family. Gabriel just glared back with a tired yet angry look.

"The friends in question, who are they?" The lawyer asked.

"The couffaine family as well as my classmates" Adrien replied.

"How often were you hanging out with them?"

"Every chance I got, which under his strict rules wasn't much. Mainly at school or band practice after school"