Chapter 29 | Longing

From the window of her room, Nathalie could see Adrien out in the back yard lying in the sun reading a book. He was so much like his mother in such small ways it was bittersweet to see. Emilie used to do that, just lounge around in the sunbeams reading, listening to music or writing. And often she'd call over Nathalie to come join her whenever she spotted the girl walking by.

Everything had been so stressful and tiring recently, all Nathalie wanted to do was lie out in the sun with Emilie like they used to and listen to music and talk for hours on end.

While she was glad things were finally starting to change and she would be able to work toward getting Adrien out of this hellhole, she saw so much of Emilie in him it made her miss her love even more. Emilie would be so so proud of how far Adrien has come, how he's grown and become such a sweet and caring boy.

It was seeing Adrien doing exactly what his mother used to do that made her wander down to her glass resting place behind Gabriel's back to just sit by her and ramble.

"You should see him Em, he's just like you. Not only in the genes but everything else. He's got your love of reading, and your love of music. He's got your mischievous streak, and that constant need to care for the people he loves. He's grown into such a wonderful young man, you'd be so so proud of him Em..." Nathalie sighed, gazing up at Emilie laying lifeless in that glass chamber.

Even though she couldn't respond, even though she couldn't hear Nathalie, sometimes Nathalie just had to sit there and talk. It was therapeutic in a way, like visiting the grave of your loved one to leave flowers on their birthday.

"I miss when we'd lay around in the sun and read together like that. And when we'd put on the radio and run around under the sprinkles when it was hot. Even into our 20s we'd still have our moments of childishness and just let go of the world to bike around the park or get ice cream and sit by the canals... it's those small things I miss the most..." Nathalie rambled.

Emilie didn't respond, she couldn't. But that didn't stop Nathalie from talking.

"I wish things went differently, maybe then you and Adrien could read out in the yard together. You'd love to meet his boyfriend you know, Luka is the perfect one for him. Such a caring boy, loves Adrien more than life itself. It hurts knowing how much you love your boy and can't see him anymore... I promise I've been taking care of him, I'm trying to get him out safely, I really am. I miss you Emilie... I miss you so much..."

There was so much Nathalie wanted to change about the way things went down, but she knew she couldn't. Sometimes she thinks about snatching the miraculous and reviving her without Gabriel's involvement, but she knew it would go badly if she tried. She was just so desperate to have Emilie back, but she knew what the right thing to do was.

Every bone in her body wished that Emilie Agreste was Emilie Sancoeur, or that she was Nathalie Ghramdevanilly. Or hell maybe they could join and be Sancoeur-Gramdevanilly.

She just wanted Emilie for herself, Gabriel be damned. What she wouldn't give to take Emilie and run off with her and Adrien, what she wouldn't give for one more kiss like that night Emilie confided in her.

Sometimes she wondered about that kiss, and when Emilie said 'I should have picked you'. Was she Bisexual? Or Lesbian who was dealing with comphet and the desire for a child that drew her to Gabriel? Maybe she didn't have a label she just likes who she likes. Whatever the case, Nathalie just wished she could have lived her authentic self and things went well for her.

She stood up, wandering over to the glass case and put a hand over it where Emilies hands were. What she wouldn't give to hold her warm, loving and living hands one more time.

"God I miss you so much Emilie..." she sighed, leaning over the case as if to hug it.

Adrien and Luka reminded her so much of Emilie and herself when they were young. Adrien was just the one to actually act on his feelings and take Lukas heart for himself, what Nathalie should have done to Emilie.

She didn't know if she should mention this place to Adrien, and Emilies body being here. Part of her wanted him to know so he could see his mother again, part of her wanted to keep it from him to not scar him further. But she opted to worry about that later and focus on getting Adrien out of here safely.

Now she'd talked to the heroes they could actually plan a way to do so. And when the time came to run, Luka as his family were kind enough to offer them help.

Luka truly was perfect for Adrien, and his family were just as amazing as he was. All of them cared immensely, all of them wanted him safe. It made Nathalie smile that he'd found someone who actually treated him like a person and understood him. Unlike the many fan girls Adrien had, Luka saw him for more than just a pretty face on a billboard.

Emilie may have also been a pretty face on a billboard, but to Nathalie she was so much more. The parallels between the duos of blondes and bluenettes was insane.

"I swear I'll make things work... for you Em. I love you, I still do and I always will. I love you so much" Nathalie muttered to her through the glass.

If only she could hear her, even if she couldn't respond at least she'd be comforted knowing her best friend was protecting her son. Emilie would hate the man Gabriel has become, love the man Adrien was becoming and be forever grateful to Nathalie for everything she's done.

If only Emilie had a second chance...