Chapter 38 | the harsh truth

Thanks do the effects of the wish, the general public now had no memory of Emilies death. Only those involved in her revival knew she'd ever died. The ladybug Miraculous was returned to Marinette, who was glad things went well and the promise was kept so she got her miraculous back.

They left before Gabriel got back, and headed back to Jagged Stones place. Since he wasn't involved in the revival, he was shocked to see the actor that had been mysteriously out of the spotlight at his doorstep. Their excuse was she'd been keeping hidden due to her failing marriage, which wasn't a complete lie. The marriage was failing before she died. Gabriel would inevitably find Emilies glass coffin empty and freak the fuck out, but who could he tell? No one knew he was hawkmoth (yet) and no one knew of Emilies death anymore either. He'd sounds batshit insane if he tried to call police and say 'my wife's dead body I've been keeping in the basement is gone'.

Gabriel was completely cornered now, and with out the miraculous there was absolutely nothing he could do to fight back. As soon as Adrien and Nathalie weren't in any danger from him trying to get them back under his control, he'd be outed as Hawkmoth, abusing Adrien and sent to prison. His life was falling part around him, it was glorious.

But of course, that did effect Emilie too.

It took a long time of explaining to fill her in on everything that had happened while she was dead, but after taking it all in she felt like her whole life had fallen apart too. Sitting at the end of the dining table she looked defeated and tired. Everyone sitting around the table who'd explained the full story, also emotionally exhausted.

"I just... I don't know what happened to him. He never used to be like this... or maybe he was like that and I just never saw it..." Emilie sighed.

"He's a manipulative person, don't blame yourself for anything" Nathalie replied.

"He- He hurt my baby. He laid his hands on my baby Nathalie. If I had been the-"

"Stop" Adrien spoke up.

She gave her son a sorrowful look, Adrien didn't like seeing her like this.

"Nothing is your fault. You were just as much as a victim as we were, don't blame yourself mum. You're back now and that's all that matters, I have my mum back, you're here with me. That's all that matters now" he continued.

Emilie smiled softly at him, and held her arms out for a hug.

"Come here" she said.

Adrien gladly got up from his chair and rushed into his mothers arms, she pulled him into her lap and hugged him like he was just a baby again. No matter how old he got, she'd always be her baby boy.

"Look at you, you've gotten so tall! And you've turned into the sweetest young man, I'm so proud of you Adrien" Emilie cooed, holding him tight.

"Thanks mum... I love you" Adrien smiled.

Words couldn't describe how elated he felt, how amazing it was to have his mum back. He felt so fulfilled and grateful.

"And hey, everything isn't all doom and gloom in this situation. Look at you with a boyfriend and all love sick" Emilie teased.

"Oh stooppp" Adrien giggled.

"Yeah Adrien, look at how love sick you are for me" Luka joined in on the teasing.

"Oh shut up, you're JUST as love sick baby blue. Don't even try and pretend you aren't"

Emilie couldn't help but react like a fan girl seeing her favourite ship. She'd always dreamed of the day her son found his true love and getting to see them so happy.

"Baby blue? That's so cute. God you two are adorable" Emilie cooed.

"From all the stories about you Adrien has told me, I just knew you'd be overjoyed to see him loved" Luka said.

"Oh I am, thank you for looking out for my boy while I was gone Luka. You're a great kid, I trust you with him"

"Thank you, I'd never do anything to harm him"

Luka had the approval of literally everyone except Gabriel, whose opinion didn't matter to him anyway. So he was really winning here in the relationship department. A sweet boyfriend and a support system, what more could a young queer ask for?

"So you're not... upset that I'm with a boy or anything are you?" Adrien asked.

"Oh god no. Honey I don't care who you date as long as they're respectful and kind. And Luka, he's the best choice for you" Emilie replied.

"Oh good, I was kind of worried"

"Your father was always a bit old fashioned. But I've always been open to any relationship as long as it's consenting and equal. Nathalie would know aaallll about that huh?"

Emilie glanced over at Nathalie, who immediately reacted with that eye roll you gave to a friend who bought up an inside joke.

"Em you've just been revived and you're already brining that up?" Nathalie sighed.

"You were SO head over heels, SMITTEN"

"And she was a celebrity I had zero chance with. She was just... pretty that's all"

"She may be pretty yes, but you had SO many posters and mountains of merchandise you raging bisexual"

Adrien and Luka clearly hadn't heard this story of their past, as they had no idea what the context was. But it sounded like back in their university days Nathalie had a major crush on a pretty celebrity and rambled on about her to Emilie. How cute.

"So what if I am? Everyone else in the house is" Nathalie laughed.

"That is true, you fit right in" Emilie replied.

"But seriously Em, will you be ok? I know all of this is a lot to take in"

Emilie sighed again, giving Adrien another mum squeeze.

"I'll be ok as long as you all are. As long as Adrien is safe, as long as you're able to recover Nathalie. As long as Luka and his family aren't dragged through the mud because of Gabriel... that man. He's not the same man I fell in love with, he hasn't been for a long time. Even before I... died... I was having doubts..." she explained.

"So... what will you say to him when he eventually finds you?" Adrien asked.

"I want a divorce"

Nathalie and Adrien shot each other exited looks. They were hoping for this, even though it'd be hard on Emilie it was for the best. Adrien wanted his mum to be away from his dad and Nathalie wanted both that and a chance with her.

Finally, after so many years of pain, they could start to pick up the pieces and move forward. Adrien had his fingers crossed that involved his two mums and Luka, Gabriel nowhere to be found.