Chapter 9 | practice

"I'm serious, I'll help if you want"

Adrien had just been given a suggestion he wasn't expecting. The rest of Kitty section surrounding him practically bursting with excitement hoping he said yes.

They wanted him to write a song. Everyone else in the band had a song, but he was the newest member and didn't have a designated song yet. Thing was, he'd never actually written a song before.

Luka offered help of course, that was something he'd definitely be taking up.

"I mean... ok? Don't expect it any time soon I have to really sit down and think about good lyrics. I've never done this before" he agreed.

The band cheered out for him, exchanging high fives.

"Everyone in the band has to write at least one song. That's the rule if you wanna be a true member" Rose joked.

"Yeah it's like an unofficial initiation into the band" Jueleka added.

"Ok, ok! I'll write one. I gotta think about what I'm going to write about though... can it be anything?" Adrien replied.

"Anything! Any genre, any topic. But it's gotta be from the soul, make it special you know?"

Hmm... a special song that comes from the soul? He could write about a lot of things. Dedicate something to his mum, write about his wild love live so far, make an inconspicuous song about living a double life. Many things to choose from.

"Think about it over the week and write down what you can. I can help with arrangement and melody next practice if you want" Luka offered.

"Thanks, I'll probably need a bit of help. This is all new to me" Adrien replied.

"I'm sure you'll be a natural. You're already a talented musician as it is"

Lukas reassurance really did fill Adrien with motivation, he wanted to write this song and make it perfect now. Maybe he could throw in a few lines about Luka? So many options...

He had a lot on his plate right now. Upcoming photoshoot with Lila he didn't want to do, the Mayura situation, the weird relationship with ladybug, whatever was up with Felix, and of course his growing crush on Luka. But music was meant to be a good way to vent and express yourself, so many this would be good for him?

Nathalie sat in the car, there to pick up Adrien She watched him smile with his friends all exited over something. She sighed.

She had to tell him about the fact she was Mayura... that way she could tell Ladybug and Cat Noir the whole story and get him out of the bad situation he was in. But seeing him so happy made her worry. She didn't want to destroy his joy when he'd been devoid of it for so long. She debated, wondering if now was the right time. Maybe she could wait another week... let him have his moment of joy before having to break the news to him.

She got out of the car to go get him, almost tripping when she found herself dizzy again. But she steadied herself and headed toward the houseboat.

"Oh Adrien! Nathalie's here" rose said, noticing her.

Adrien turned to face her a smile on his face.

"Oh I have to go already? Ok. Let me just grab my bag ok?" He said.

"Don't take too long, your father wants to speak with you about that photoshoot" Nathalie said.

Adrien groaned, not wanting to do the shoot or talk to his dad right now. But he couldn't really avoid it. He ran off to get his bag from inside, the rest of the band chatting amongst themselves. She noticed Luka leaning on the railing of the deck tuning his guitar, and decided to help Adrien out a little.

"Luka right?" She spoke up.

Luka turned to face her, he didn't know her too well. But from what Adrien had told him, she was a good person and seemed very close to him.

"Yeah, that's me" he replied.

Nathalie leaned over the railing slightly to talk to him.

"Listen, I know this might seem out of the blue but Adrien really likes you. He talks about you all the time. I just wanted to thank you for being there for him" she said.

Luka could feel his cheeks heat up a little. Adrien talked about him? Did she mean like as in friends or... even more?

"Oh really? Well I'm glad he trusts me... I care about him a lot. I know his life can be stressful with all the fame so I try to be there as much as possible" Luka replied.

"I appreciate you looking out for him when I'm not around. Sometimes I worry about his well-being to be honest, he's had a really hard time since his mother. But ever since he met you he's been smiling a lot more, it's a joy to see"

He... helped him that much? Luka felt honoured almost. Maybe Adrien really did like him more than he thought. Just as he was about to reply, Adrien came back and rushed up to him for a goodbye hug. The blonde jumped on him and pulled him close.

"I'll text you tonight, you can give me songwriting tips" Adrien smiled.

"Of course! It'll be fun I promise" Luka replied, giving him a loving squeeze.

Nathalie gave them a knowing look, she could see this romance from a mile away.

"I'll see you after school probably, bye!" Adrien said.

"Yeah, see you tomorrow" Luka replied.

Adrien waved off the rest of the band and headed back to the car. Nathalie hoped her little conversation with Luka would help the two get closer, she was really rooting for them.

"Songwriting huh?" She said, starting the car.

"Everyone in the band has written a song but me. They all want me to write one, it sounds fun so I'll give it a shot. Lukas better at it than I am so he's gonna help, he's already written a ton of songs" Adrien explained.

"What will you write it about?"

"Not sure yet... it should be meaningful though, I'll have to think about it"

She saw so much of his mother in that boy. Emilie was a very creative person, and Adrien definitely got that from her. Nathalie truly cared for him, wanting to protect the child of the woman she loved as her own. She really didn't want to see his joy crushed after he'd been doing so much to heal himself.

She had to tell him, but didn't want to hurt him. Sure he had his friends and Luka for support but this whole miraculous thing wasn't exactly something he could tell anyone.

She'd tell him... but maybe a little later...