Chapter 34 | escape

A/n: the way the story is going I think I might be able to expand it into a squeal book when this one is over. Might have to do that 👀

When Nathalie finally opened the door to Adrien's room and their eyes met after that massive fight, there were no words needed to understand. But, for good measure she said it anyway.

"Pack up. We're leaving tonight. I'm calling Luka's parents"

Adrien couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. He was packing up as much stuff as he could the second Nathalie told him too.

And when Luka was called into the lounge room by his mother, and everything that just happened was explained to him after Nathalie called, he was quick to grab his stuff to stay at his dads with Adrien as well.

Time seemed to drag on, the house was quiet. Gabriel had locked himself in his office, Nathalie was busy organising for the escape and Adrien was impatiently waiting for night to fall. When it finally did, they had to wait a few hours for the right time, for Gabriel to go to bed so they could sneak out. But finally, after what felt like days of waiting, it was time.

Adrien left a window in his bathroom open, so he and Ladybug could sneak back in later. Nathalie disarmed the security system in that area of the house. Adrien grabbed his bags, and he and Nathalie snuck out to the car under the darkness of the night. They threw everything in the back seat, and left.

It was tense the whole time, fearing Gabriel would hear and wake up. But they made it out, they managed to get away. Adrien could still feel the sting of the slap on his cheek, and the moment he'd had everything sink in, his mind had just been blank with shock and confusion.

"Are you ok..?" Nathalie muttered, eyes on the road as they drove.

"No... but I will be. When we fix everything" Adrien sighed.

They both knew that right now they just needed to process. The comforting and tears could come once they were inside Jaggeds place and safe for sure.

"I knew he was capable of it, but... I didn't think he do it..." Nathalie said.

"I knew he would... and in a sick way I hoped he would. That way... I'd have solid evidence" Adrien replied.

It made Nathalie sick to her stomach. The fact Adrien was so beaten down by his fathers manipulating he thought that he HAD to get hit just to have some kind of proof. The years of verbal and emotional abuse alone would have been enough. But that's the tragic thing about victims, they often think they need to be more hurt in order to be seen as valid.

"Adrien..." Nathalie sighed.

"I know. It's fucked up... but... at least I can show an officer the blatant bruises and there'd be absolutely no doubt" Adrien replied.

He was so broken, so defeated. It was painful to see. But at least they were getting out. Soon they'd be safe... hopefully.

Luka was pacing in the front room, watching from the window for the car to pull up. He'd gotten to his dads place hours earlier and hadn't left that room since, just waiting. He was worried sick after hearing what happened, and no matter how many times he texted or called Adrien there was no reply. He knew it was likely because he was busy getting ready to leave, but he feared something else was wrong.

"Kid you're gonna wear down the floor if you keep that up, sit down" Jagged said, watching his son from the doorframe.

"I'm just... worried" Luka replied.

"I know, I know. But you can sit by the window instead of pacing for another three hours you know?"

Luka leaned against the window frame, watching the driveway.

"He can stay in my room with me right?" He asked.

"Of course. But if you two are gonna stay up smooching you better keep it quiet" Jagged replied.

"DAD-"

"I'm just sayin-"

Luka playfully rolled his eyes and sighed. Just like his father to make jokes like that... but the brief moment of amusement was gone as soon as he saw the driveway again.

"God I hope he's ok..." Luka muttered.

Almost as of on cue, headlights shone around the corner and a car pulled into the driveway. Luka immediately sprang into action, rushing to the door and flinging it open. As soon as the car parked and Adrien saw Luka rushing down the front steps, he too flung the door of the car open and leaped out. The boys rushed up to each other, as fast as their legs could carry them and they jumped into each others arms. The hug was tight, the embrace was warm and the realness of the situation weighed on them as they finally met after hours of waiting.

That weight, it finally came down onto Adrien. He was safe, in Lukas arms he was safe. No more manipulation, no more yelling, no more slapping. In Lukas arms, he wasn't Adrien Agreste the son of abusive famous designer Gabriel Agreste. He was just... Adrien.

All the tenseness he held, the fear, the sadness, it all came tumbling out. As he started to cry heart wrenching sobs onto Lukas shoulder, the musician could only hold his lover and gently rock back and fourth.

"Shhh... it's ok, you're safe now. It's ok sunshine..." Luka assured.

Jagged followed Lukas trail out the front door, and over to the car to help Nathalie take things in and talk about where they'd go from here. There was a lot to do, both in dealing with safety and custody and getting Gabriel's ass arrested for both abuse and being Hawkmoth. The two adults looked over at their kids, tightly holding onto each other as if the world was crumbling around them.

That, right there. That was true love.

Luka wouldn't let Adrien go as long as he lived, and Adrien wouldn't turn his back on Luka even if the world burst into flames. Adrien just simply sobbed, the image of the heartbreak and pain on his lovers face almost made Luka tear us as well.

Adrien looked up at him, tear filled eyes and broken gaze. Luka looked down Adrien, at the bruise on his cheeks and pain on his expression. He put a hand gently over the bruise and wiped away a tear.

"What did he do to you?" Luka said.

"He hurt me..." Adrien replied.

"I'm going to gut him..."

Adrien just pulled himself closer, burring his face in Luka's chest again. Luka gently ran his fingers through the blondes hair and kissed his forehead. It was all he could do to reassure him that finally, things would be ok.