Chapter 23 | Lolita

After the sleepover, Luka found himself thinking about what Adrien had said about the book he was reading.

That even if the abuse the character experienced wasn't exactly the same as his, he could relate to the situation. And it got Luka thinking about the book even more, so he rode his bike down to the local book store and bought a copy. And the past few days he'd been reading it, whenever he had the time for it.

Lying on his bed, he was reading the book again. About halfway though, at the part where Lo and Humbert were travelling across the country.

Luka could really see what Adrien meant while reading this part. Lo was completely isolated. Her mother dead, no other family nearby, and because she was too young to drive or have money she couldn't flee. She was stuck with an abusive step dad, travelling all over the place evading law enforcement. She had no escape.

It paralleled Adrien in a way, he was also stuck with an abusive father figure. One that did everything he could to isolate him so he could never get help, and he was too young to have full control over his life still, so running away was a hard option to take. Sure he could drive by now, but he didn't have his licence yet or a car. He had money, but it was all under his fathers control. He had friends, but at any moment his father could call him home and not let him see them again.

That's how abusers work, they make sure you're alone and they're the only one around. That way no one can hear you scream.

Unluckily for Gabriel, Luka HAD heard Adrien scream and was determined to stick by his side no matter what.

It broke his heart that Adrien felt he could relate to one of the most infamous abuse victims in pop culture, but he had to admit that reading the book did make him understand abuse a little more. The unreliable narrator, the delusions, the manipulation tactics, all things he'd not considered before.

He didn't want Adrien to be a Lolita. He wanted him to his his sunshine, free to make any choice he pleases and go anywhere, do anything he wanted. He wanted him safe.

Noises from the deck of the house boat snapped Luka from his daze reading the book, and he looked out the window. It seemed Jueleka had some friends over, the girls. And that happened to include Marinette. All he could think was 'oh no...'

He was still worried about telling her, he didn't want to hurt her, he really didn't. But deep down he knew she'd be hurt anyway, even if she eventually got over it. He still didn't want her to be upset at all. And he hoped that he could just do what Adrien suggested and tell her once the school holidays started, that way she'd have time to process and not have to see Adrien at school every day, mad at him and Luka.

Alya had been occasionally texting Luka about it since the party. She'd been trying to plant in Maris head that maybe Adrien wasn't going to work out for her, to soften the blow. She'd mentioned a hypothetical 'what if he didn't like girls?' To her, but she just joked that she'd become a boy just to date him. It may have been a joke, but both Luka as Alya were a bit worried the obsession was getting out of hand. Alya didn't want to give anything away or hurt her either, so she'd been only subtlety trying to push Marinette into the staying friends mindset.

It didn't seem to be working though, she was still as hung up as ever.

Pushing it from his mind, telling himself to cross the bridge when he came to it, he looked back down at the book and continued to read.

He couldn't help but have a strange gut feeling of impending doom. Was it because of the Marinette situation? Or was it worry for Adrien about his dad? He didn't know. But he felt the need to brace himself for whatever was to come.

His phone buzzed, and a notification that Adrien had posted on Instagram popped up. Tapping on it to see what it was, he was met with a photo of Adrien with red heart sunglasses and a matching white set of shorts and crop top, the book he'd just been reading in his hand.

AdrienAgresteBrand: I've been reading the classics recently, and I have to say I'm both disturbed and amazed by Lolita. The movies don't do it's psychological horror aspects justice (although the outfits are cute). We should really look at the story as awareness for how abusers can lie and manipulate the situation to make themselves seem less suspicious, rather than weirdly romanticising the book.
Definitely recommend if you can bare the contents.
And remember, the outfits are cute but the subject matter isn't!

The outfit in the photo resembled the one from the 90s movie during the tennis scene, and the caption was right. The outfits may be cute but the subject matter isn't.

The comments were filled with the usual fangirls telling him he was pretty and the outfit was cute, and scattered in there were fellow readers praising him for understanding the true message of the book rather than blindly romanticising it. You can enjoy a story, while not condoning or romanticising the actions.

He had to smile at the sight, liking the picture and leaving a comment.

Luka_kittysection: you made me read this. And you're cute as hell as always :)

He didn't think much of it, and went to put his phone back down. But it buzzed again, and he saw that Adrien had almost immediately liked his comment and replied.

AdrienAgresteBrand: I have good taste ;)

Snickering at the comment, he liked it and turned his phone back off to finish reading. And right as he was about to open the book again he heard commotion outside on the deck.

"Wait what should I comment? I don't wanna sound awkward!! I haven't even read the book, or seen the movie! Should I have? Wait no he said the movies weren't as good... AHHH how did I not know he was reading this? I would have read it too!"

"MARI! Calm your ass down! It's just an Instagram post!" Alya laughed.

"It's not just any Instagram post it's ADRIENS post!" She panicked.

The girls just sighed at the usual adrenaline pumping reaction from Marinette, while it was a little amusing, Luka also found it slightly worrying.

Yet again his phone buzzed, this time it was his sister. She'd sent a screenshot of his comment on Adriens post, and added a single message.

Juels: simp.

Luka: shut up you simp for Rose

Juels: ...touché

At least his sister was in the know and keeping the secret for now, maybe she'd be able to help break the news to Marinette.