Chapter 20 | happy birthday

It was finally the part of the night where everyone sat around the table for cake and presents. Adrien sat at the end of the table as the birthday boy, and all his friends along the sides.

This party has been perfect, the best thing he'd ever managed to convince his father to allow him. Everyone had come dressed up as their favourite characters or a funny pun costume, and because all his friends were artists everyone's costumes turned out amazing. They'd been spending the past hours dancing and playing games as the sun went down, letting their inner child out as they just forgot all their worries and went wild.

Finally, it was cake time. Nathalie had been the one to organise it so Adrien had no idea what the cake would be like. The cake sat covered in the centre of the table, and all the chatter quieted down when Nathalie picked up a lighter for the candles.

"Alright guys no commuting arson with this" she joked.

The table giggled, all of them had come to realise Nathalie wasn't nearly had bad as Gabriel over the course of the party. She would actually join in with the fun when she had the energy for it, and seemed ten times more involved in Adrien's life.

She took the cover off the cake to reveal a beautifully decorated two tier chocolate cake with green and blue icing swirled on it. In icing piping 'happy birthday Adrien' was written and a big 16 candle stuck in the top. Adrien smiled, feeling special for having a proper birthday cake ceremony with his friends for the first time. Nathalie lit the candle, and for the first time Adrien heard his friends sing him happy birthday.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Adrieeennnnn! Happy birthday to you!"

"16 claps for 16 years go!" Luka added.

And as per birthday tradition, everyone clapped the number of years Adrien was turning along with happy cheers. Excitedly leaning over the table, Adrien blew out his candle making his silent wish.

For this night to be forever remembered by him and his friends.

"You ever done the knife tradition?" Luka asked, handing him the knife to cut the cake.

"No?" Adrien replied.

Teasing shocked gasps came from all his friends.

"Dude how have you not?! We all have to scream when the knife hits the bottom of the cake" Nino explained.

"Oh god, I'm going to go deaf aren't I?" Nathalie joked.

She took the candle out, and let Adrien make the first slice. Everyone watched carefully to make sure they screamed at the right time, and when the knife hit the plate underneath it, the park rang out with screaming teenagers, followed by laughter. Adrien was practically bursting he was having so much fun.

With the cake cut up and everyone having a slice, the chatter returned as everyone ate their share and had their drinks. By now all the snacks were almost gone as they'd been picked away at all night, and with the way things were going there's be no food left by 10pm.

Adrien felt complete, he'd never had a purely friendship and goofing off moment like this. His own birthday party, all his friends, just hanging out and being kids. Well, teens more like. He wanted the night to last forever, but he also was looking forward to the sleepover portion of the night with Luka.

There was one other thing Adrien had never done, and that was a piñata. His father always said they were a mess so he never did it as a child, but hanging from the roof of the gazebo was a piñata, and he was also exited to crack that open with his friends.

"Ok guys, smile at the camera!"

Everyone turned to face Nathalie who stood back to get everyone in frame. She'd been taking pictures all night for Adrien to print out and put in his photo album. Everyone posed for the camera, and Nathalie snapped a picture. She was eager to get as many as possible for him, and for her. She was so close to Adrien at this point she wanted to do the mum thing of having photos of your kids in your wallet.

She was glad everything was going well, and that she hadn't had any health complications that night and ruined things for him. She was just glad to see him happy.

After a delicious cake and snack session, they were finally onto the piñata and it was both fun and chaos. Blindfolding everyone one by one and having them attempt to hit the piñata open was entertaining. Nino was completely off and somehow hit a chair, Alya managed to hit it but not break it open, Rose was too short so Jueleka picked her up and she STILL missed. One by one everyone tried and failed to hit it open.

Marinettes tuen was next, she put the blindfold on and Adrien spun her around a few times to throw her direction off. And everyone tried to tell her which way to go as she stumbled for the hit.

While she and Adrien were distracted, Alya had been meaning to talk to Luka. She was of course dressed as Ladybug, and slipped to the back of the group where Luka watched after he'd had his turn.

"Hey, Luka" Alya began.

"Yeah?" He replied.

"I just wanted to ask, are you and Adrien... like... more than friends?"

She knew? How the hell did she know? Was it that obvious?

"How did you-" Luka began.

"It's just you two are always staying late after band practice, he's worn your jacket to school a few times and I've heard through the grapevine you're the only one sleeping over tonight"

"Well... yeah. We are, we haven't told anyone so his dad doesn't find out. We want to, we just have to be careful you know?"

"Look, I won't spill. I get it, his dad is an ass. And I'm happy for you two, really. I haven't seen him so happy since he met you, and I'm glad you're not so torn up over the breakup with Mari anymore. It's just well, Mari she... she might not take it well. You are her Ex and Adrien is her crush" Alya explained.

"I know... I've been thinking about that. Honestly I'm not sure how to tell her, now definitely isn't the best time. I mean we're at a party... but I will tell her eventually. I just hope she understands" Luka replied.

"I'm sure once she gets over the initial sting she will. She knows she can't control Adrien or his sexuality, she's just a bit... well, down bad"

They both looked over at Marinette, who was still trying to hit the piñata, almost tripping over on her dress. She'd come dressed as an Angel with a pretty flowing dress and wings on her back. And somehow he'd managed to keep grass stains off the white fabric even though she'd tripped over 3 times already tonight.

"I don't want to hurt her, but I couldn't just... not say yes to the kiss. He asked me and well, it just happened" Luka said.

"I get it, you can't change who your heart chases sometimes. I'll keep it on the down low for now, I'd just refer you tell her rather then her finding out second hand and getting upset" Alya replied.

"I get that. I'll talk to Adrien about it later tonight"

Finally a whack echoed in the gazebo followed by cheers of joy. Marinette finally managed to hit the piñata and break it open, all the lollies spilling out of it. She took of her blindfold and looked down at the pile of lollies, honestly shocked she managed.

"YEEEAHHH! I did it! I did it!" She cheered.

"Well done Mari!" Adrien smiled.

"Oh! Uh, you than- I MEAN, thank you!"

Luka and Alya just sighed at her stammering and found it typical Marinette.

The group divided up the lollies and gave the leftovers to Nathalie, who didn't mind at all to have a few extra milky chews.

With a few hours left to kill, and the sun fully set and music still playing there was plenty of party left to have.

Now high off a sugar rush that is.