Chapter 18: Grace's Adieu

"Get a parchment and a sealed contract from the archpriest." The young miss told me to do it.

As what the young miss said, I quickly went out of the room and found my way to the centre hall where the archpriest was sitting and working.

"Greetings Archpriest." I greeted him with a gentle bow

"Oh." He was surprised to see me. "It's great to see you again Grace."

He turned his face to me as I took a closer step to his table.

"Ar-archpriest, can I have your permission?"

The archpriest moved his hand and lowered his pince-nez that was attached to his nose.

"...You're saying you have found your path?"

Path? no, I was threatened obviously.

I swallowed my dry saliva and smiled bitterly. "Indeed. Archpriest I have found the reason for my life."

The archpriest knew I faked my smile but he just let it go. He then stood up from the chair he was sitting and pulled the cabinet from his table and grabbed some papers.

I was standing in front of him fidgeting my hands.

Before, the archpriest was a good looking man, but as the time passes, white hair starts to appear in his head.

Despite that, the archpriest's kindness remains the same.

'He was still as kind when I met him eight years ago.'

After the archpriest was done, he stood up and said, "Grace, time really passes fast isn't it?"

My fake smile broke after I heard what he said. I bit my lip and water started showing in my eyes. It was as if I swallowed some stone; my throat hurts and tightens.

The Archpriest withdrew himself from the table and came closer to me. He wrapped me with his warm arm and he patted my head.

To me, the archpriest was like my father. He was my savior.

"Ar-archpriest, I r-really thank you for everything-sob."

I cried and tears won't stop coming out from my eyes.

"It's okay Grace, things might not go in your will but, I'm here."

It would be disappointing if he knew how badly I treated the young miss of Elsteel. But even if he knew, he would still embrace me like her daughter.

My face was full of tears and wet so I removed my shoulder from his hug and rubbed my face using my hands.

"Who is it? The person you'll be serving?" Asked the archpriest.

"The young lady of Elsteel."

He smiled at me genuinely. "I hope you'll accompany the young lady as she grows up."

'The young miss is scary!'

More likely the young lady will be the one who'll accompany me to hell.

"I hope that I'll be okay," I looked down as I said, "Thank you for all the guidance archpriest."

"It's always been my pleasure Grace, remember to visit the temple when you're doing okay."

The Archpriest then gave me the paper and the contract scroll.

No words can describe 'thank you' the way I was grateful for the archpriest.

"I already bless you Grace." She grabbed my hand gently and held it. "For the contract to work, just a drop of your blood is needed to seal it."

"Yes, archpriest." I replied then I received the papers he handed to me then I stepped back and withdrew my hands from him.

"Take care, Grace." He smiled then he bid me a goodbye as close his door and left the centre hall.