Chapter 19: Unexpected Guest

"Breath In, Breath out." Grace was trying to relax before she opened the door of the young lady's room.

Grace opened it slowly and the first thing she saw was the young lady's dismayed face.

The young lady was sitting on her knees on the bed disappointed by Grace's appearance.

"Oh god. It was just you Grace, why would you make it thrilled?"

"Did the young miss perhaps wait for someone?"

"Yes." She answered with an unconcerned face. "My biological brother, Damuel."

Grace came nearer to the young lady while she was holding a paper and script.

"The sealed contract, young miss."

Grace gave me a paper and a script.

'What am I supposed to do with this?'

I don't even understand the letters or characters written on it.

Grace was standing in front of me. She was biting her nails.

She looks like a scared idiot.

"Grace, why the hell are you biting your nails?"

"It's no-nothing." She said but her complexion doesn't look alright at all.

"Do you have a compulsive disorder?" I blabbered. "Oh, if a certain person didn't get enough breast's milk from their childhood, they might experience biting their nails though."

Even so, she continued to bite her nail and told me, "Y-yes, young miss. When I was a child, I never got to taste breastmilk since my mother died."

"And so what?"

Grace moves her hands and puts it on her side. She remained silent.

"Do you want me to pity you Grace?" I curled my lips. "Oh my. I feel sorry for you Grace!"

"The paper young miss, stop wiggling your hand. You're gonna damage the seal of the archpriest."

"Oh right." I then put the paper beside me. "Did you meet or see my brother coming here?"

"Not at all. The centre hall and the solar room are far away."

"Well, who knows? My brother is full of surprise after all"

Grace just smiles at me dryly. I don't understand why she's being stiff today. She usually had that deadly glare of hers but she's being different today.

'Is she sick?'

I glowered at her suspiciously.

Then, she drew her hands closer to me and she grabbed the scroll beside me.

"Let's start our contract." She announced as she spread the paper on the floor.

"What are you doing with the paper?"

". . . ."

I looked at the tiles where she put the scroll. She was doing something and I couldn't stop myself from being curious, so I got my feet out of the bed and came nearer to Grace.

"Do you understand what it says, Grace?"

"Peasants don't know how to read, young miss."

I pointed to myself, "... So do I?"

"We're the same then." Grace added then she bit her thumb, and she let the blood drop into the scroll.

"Why are you putting your filthy blood on paper? It's gonna be dirty."

After what I said, Grace was astonished looking at my face.

"This is for the contract, young miss."

"So, am I supposed to do the same thing?"

"Obviously."

"But I don't like getting hurt?"

"Do you like me to help you?"

Grace's complexion seems to be coming back to normal.

"No, thanks." I replied to her then, I did the same thing as Grace.

I tried to bit my thumb but It hurts so much, so I just bit my lips instead and when a small amount of blood appeared on my small lips, I touched it and pasted it on the paper.

"Then what's next, Grace?"

Both of us were confused. Nothing happened after I put my blood.

"I think you made it wrong, young miss." Grace turned her head to me, "It needed a drop of blood not a paste of blood."

"B-but isn't that going to work regardless??"

Knock. Knock. Knock.

When both of us heard the knock, our head turned towards the door.

Grace whispered to me as she hid the papers and the scroll.

"Is it your brother, young miss?"

"I guess."

I stand up from the tiles and move back to the bed. Grace hid the scroll and papers beneath the bed I was lying on.

I covered myself in a blanket and pretended to be resting as I raised my voice. "Who is it? You can open the door."

The person behind the doors didn't answer.

When the door opened, I didn't know who the man was.

He's not my brother either.

When I looked at Grace who was standing in front of my bed, her complexion turned into white again and she was sweating and trembling looking at the man.

Grace was terrified and shaking like what I did to her when I found out she tricked me.

"Are you okay, Grace?"

She didn't answer me, so I turned my face back to the man in the door and asked, "What's wrong mister? I don't know you?"

"Greetings ladies, I got into the wrong room." The man looked at me as if he was inspecting something and answered me.

"So, would you mind closing the door, mister?"

"My apologies."

Slam.

I looked at Grace one more time again and asked her, "Do you know him, Grace?"

"N-no, It's nothing."

He wasn't really okay though. She was scared looking at that man.

'Whatever, It's not like I care.'

Grace took a deep sigh as she sat on the tiles again and grabbed the things she hid beneath the bed I was lying on.

"Young miss, should we continue this?" She said while holding the parchment and scroll.

"Yes, come here and put that paper thing beside me." Then I tapped the space beside me, signing her to put it on this place and so she did.

"I don't understand these characters that much, but let's try."

Grace doesn't know how to read so she only looks at me trying to figure out what's wrong with the sealed contract.

Knock. Knock. Tug!

Another sound of a knock came from the door again. The man suddenly opened the door without my permission and another person showed himself.

"Where's my little sister Sabrina?!"