𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟗: 𝐎𝐮𝐭𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐬

Y/n lets out a sigh as she sat in the van and buried her face into her palm while Takemichi sat in the furthest seat in the back with witn an elderly woman and her teenage kid. Next to Y/n on the second row seat was Kakucho seeming to be in a bad mood too. The driver was a man who seemed be in his 30s and his friend who was around the same age sitting next to him on the front passenger's seat.

"How the fuck did we get here...?" Kakucho mumbled, the frustration clear in the tone of his voice as he carressed his hair back with both hands and sighs as he leaned back on his seat.

Y/n also seemed annoyed as she leaned against the window and groans in pain as she looked down at the wound in her left leg. Kakucho turned to her worringly and reaches out to help her but she angrily slaps his hand away and turns to face Takemichi who was in the back seat.

"If you would've just stay put, we wouldn't have been here in the first place...!" she glared.

"Oh, so this is my fault? You were the one going on with your advise and encouraged me into doing it!" Takemichi snapped back, just as angry as she was.

"I gave you advise, I didn't mean for you to take matters into your own hand and actually try to settle with Daichi's woman!" Y/n yelled angrily.

"You both know very well she was my woman before that piece shit fed something to her to erase everything in her mind!" Takemichi groaned.

"It could've been just a coincidence that they look the same," Kakucho sighed.

"She has the mole...! She's my Hina!" Takemichi jumped.

Y/n sighs and turned away as she glared out the window, "Whatever, it's too late now. We've angered him and now he won't agree to the treaty. He'd already killed the men we've bought with us. All we need to do now is get back to central Tokyo before his men finds us. All my fucking plans were for nothing..."

"We'll figure something else out..." Kakucho spoke up as he tried to comfort Y/n.

They all sat in the van in silence as the driver continued driving down the empty road. It was already dark outside, and they could hardly see a thing with all the lack of electricity except for the vehicle's headlights which helped out a little but it was still a bit risky but they still had to get away as fast as they could.

"So... who're you people?" Kakucho spoke as he looked at all the other strangers.

"We're outcasts, all abadoned by our wards while falsely accused of things we didn't do. So all we've done to survive is travel to different wards in this van and looked for whatever we could find, scraps, anything... we just take what we can to survive," the driver spoke. "I'm Hiragana Kanji. This is my cousin David Satoru and those two at the back are his wife and daughter, Emma and Aria."

Y/n's gaze met Aria's, the daughter of David whom seemed to be 15 at the time. Her heart throbbed as she stared at the girl in silence, thinking of all the shit she went through while having to live in fear every single day as her family travels from one ward to another, looking for something to keep them alive.

"Nice to meet you all... I'm Y/n," she smiled slightly as she introduced herself, "This is Kakucho and Takemichi. We're from the Tokyo ward, we came here for a peace treaty with Chuo but things backfired since someone showed up."

Y/n glared at Takemichi who remained quietly in his seat, his arms folded as he rolled his eyes at her comment but remained silent.

"It's nice to meet you all, we're glad we've found you all just in time before you'd gotten bitten by those rotten beasts," Emma spoke in a worried tone. "But what really happened back at the Chuo ward?"

"Well, we had a few misunderstandings with their leader and he killed off our men and shot Y/n's leg while I injured my arm during the process of holding on some of their men," Kakucho sighed, gently rubbing his forehead in frustration.

"Ah... well, we're near a gas station and we'll stop by to get some fuel for the van. Meanwhile, you and your friend at the back could head into the store and see if you could find some useful resources in the shop to help treat your girlfriend's wounds," Kanji smiled as he continued driving towards the old gas station which was slowly coming into view.

"She's not my girlfriend," Kakucho scoffed, leaning back on his seat as if he was trying not to make Y/n uncomfortable but once he met her gaze, she eyed him out as if she was annoyed with the fact he even corrected the man.

The van suddenly pulls over infront of the gas station as Kanji parked it right out front. It was empty and there seemed to be no sight of any zombies but at the same time it was still hard to see with the lack of light anywhere. The driver sighs as he leaned over the wheel nervously and peaked out over the window glass, to see signs of any movement in the dark.

"Don't y'all have a flashlight or something?" Y/n asks, folding her arms as she leaned back on her seat, trying her best not to move her leg or she'll feel the sting all over again.

"Yes, we do have some in the trunk," Kanji jumped. 

"Let's hurry. I need to find something that'll help take the bullet out of Y/n's leg," Kakucho sighed, frowning a little in worry as he reached over to Y/n's leg and examined the wound.

Kanji nods at him while Emma reaches to the trunk and grabbed the flashlights before handing each to Kanji, Kakucho, Takemichi and David, The four men hopped out of the car in silence as they turned on their flashlights and shone it through the area while making their way towards the gas station to search for petrol and useful equipment while Y/n stayed back in the van with the wife and daughter. 

She watches silently and anxiously through the window and could barely makeout the silhouttes of the men as they ventured further away from the van into the dark. The only thing she could see was the bright lights of each four flashlights shining in opposite directions as they strayed further away from her sight until all of a sudden, a loud scream was heard and oneof the flash dropped.

"Fuck...!" she could hear Y/n cursing under his breath as he immediately called back Takemichi and the remaining survivor before they all dashed back to the car and closed the doors behind them and locked it before turning off their flashlights. 

The sudden growls of the zombies were heard as they came running towards the direction of the van but after losng sight of the humans they'd been chasing after, they paused in confusion and started walk in different directions cluelessly.

"What the fuck happened out there?!" Y/n yelled as she sat up anxiously in confusion.

"Where's uncle...?" Aria cried with a scared look plastered on her face.

The other three men couldn't bring themselves to say anything despite it being clear, but Takemichi spoke up anyway, "...they got him."