XLIX

FORTY NINE: NUMBER ONE

FLASHBACK

YUURI POV

"Let's break up," I said as she looked at the sunset, and Baekhyun looked at her.

"Why?" Baekhyun asked.

They were in 2nd year high school and Yuuri and Baekhyun got together as soon as she moved to Korea after graduating middle school.

"Last week, the principal said I was selected to be in SNU of Law's scholarship candidates," I said as she looked at him.

"I haven't been paying attention to us for a while Baekhyun. I don't want you to be the only one working in this relationship," I said as my black hair was breezing through the wind.

"Yuuri, it doesn't matter. Because if you want to break up, it's fine. I'll keep supporting you," Baekhyun smiled and I nodded.

"If I get to have my scholarship approved, I'll let you know! Keep it a secret from my mother though, she doesn't know I applied," I said and Baekhyun nodded.

"My feelings won't waver as long as you're happy," Baekhyun said and I smiled.

"You can get in a relationship with others. I'm not your girlfriend anymore afterall, but you should tell me who she is, I want to know who's taking care of you," I said and Baekhyun blushed.

"I doubt that will happen after our breakup," Baekhyun smiled and I smiled back.

"Then promise me, Byun Baekhyun," I said as he cheeks flushed red.

"Didn't you say you're gonna take law too? Because you wanted to be like your grandfather?" I smiled.

"After we graduate college, let's get back together and get married!" I said as I turned red, and Baekhyun's eyes widened.

"Married? That's so long!" Baekhyun said and I rolled my eyes.

"But being with you is fun, and I want to have fun with you forever, so I did imagine... marrying you... way before..., but I know even after college I'll still love you!" Baekhyun muttered as he turned redder.

"Then it's settled! Promise me?"

"I promise."

-

"Kang Yuuri, congratulations! You finally graduated! What are your plans? You're the first place in the class, you must be planning something big," The director said and I smiled as I looked at my diploma.

"As a rookie. I'll start small by getting myself accquainted with real court disputes, I'll do a great job," Yuuri said and the director looked at her with a straight face.

"That doesn't seem very intriguing, think bigger Kang Yuuri! You're carrying the weight of the school, Seoul National University!" The director said and I sighed.

"I'm also carrying the weight of my potential. I am first place, yes. But, I want to be a right attorney who doesn't climb up higher ranks because of my place in class," I replied before bowing.

"Director, I won't disappoint you. But, you can't force me to grow up in this field quickly," I said before leaving.

It's hard being an adult.

And people older than you are harder on you too.

They expect you to be a child and obey them when they're cornered. And they expect you to grow up and mature quickly when it's not their problem anymore.