|59| Try Not To Miss

"Max you can't. He'll kill you"

●●●●●●●

"He showed me things that haven't happened yet" Nancy explains, her voice hoarse. She had been explaining who Vecna was. "The most awful things. I saw a dark cloud spreading over Hawkins. Downtown on fire. Dead soldiers. And this giant creature with a gaping mouth. And this creature wasn't alone. There were so many monsters. An army. And they were coming into Hawkins. Into our neighborhoods. Our homes. And then... he showed me my mom. And Holly. Mike. And they... they were all dead.

"Okay, but... he's just trying to scare you, Nance" Steve assures the shaken girl. "Right? I mean... it's not real"

"Not yet" Nancy whispers. "But there, there was something else. He showed me gates. Four gates. Spreading across Hawkins. And these gates, they looked like they were outside of Eddie's trailer, and they didn't stop growing. This wasn't the Upside Down Hawkins. This was our Hawkins. Our home"

"Four chimes" Max says. "Vecnas clock. It always chimes Four times. Four exactly"

"I heard them too" Nancy says.

"He's been telling us his plan the whole time" Max states.

"Four kills" Lucas says. "Four gates. End of the world" Leah grabs Lucas's hand and gives it a squeeze, laying her head upon the shaking boys shoulder.

"If that's true... he's only one kill away" Dustin says.

"Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ" Eddie says, digging his face into his hands.

"Tryem again. Tryem again" Steve tells Max, trying to get ahold of the Byers residence. "Their not picking up. Somethings wrong"

"She's right" Nancy agrees. "It can't be a coincidence. It can't be. Whatevers happening in Lenora is connected to all of this. I'm sure of it. But Vecna can't hurt them. Not if he's dead"

"How are we gonna kill him?" Leah asks.

"We have to go back to the Upside Down" Nancy says.

"No,no,no,no"

"Nope"

"Let's think this through" Steve says, walking up to the girl.

"What is there to think through?" Nancy asks loudly.

"We barely made it out of there!" Steve argues, signaling to the mark on his neck.

"Yeah, because we weren't prepared!" Nancy argues. "But this time, we will be. We'll get weapons and protection. We'll go through the gate, find his lair, and we'll kill him"

"Or he'll kill us" Steve adds. "The only reason you survived was because he wanted you to. He's not scared of us"

"And for good reason" Robin says, joining the two of them in the center of the room. "We were wrong about Vecna. Henry. One. Sorry, what are we calling him now?"

"One"

"Vecna"

"Henry"

"Right" Robin says. "We've learned something new about Vecna/Henry/One. He's a number like Eleven, only a sock, evil, male, child murdering, version of her with really bad skin. But my point is, he's super powerful. He could turn us inside out with a snap of his fingers. It's not a fair fight"

"Then why fight fair?" Dustin questions.

"You're right. He's like Eleven. But that gives us the upper hand. We know Elevens strengths, but we also know her weaknesses" Dustin says.

"Weaknesses?" Erica questions.

"Well El remote-travels, she goes into this sort of trance-like state" Dustin explains. "I bet the same is true with Vecna"

"That would explain what he was doing in the attic" Lucas adds.

"Exactly" Dustin agrees. "When he attacks his next victim, I'll bet you he's in that attic, physical body defenseless"

"Defenseless?" Steve questions. "What about the army of bats?"

"True" Dustin agrees. "We'll have to find a way past them. Distract them somehow"

"And uh, how do we do that, exactly?" Eddie asks.

"No idea" Dustin admits truthfully. "But once they're gone, he doesn't stand a chance. It'll be like slaying sleeping Dracula in his coffin"

"That all sounds good in theory, but there is no pattern to Vecnas killings" Robin says. "At least not one that I can decipher. We don't know when he's going to attack next. Don't even know who!"

"Yeah, we do" Max says. "I can still feel him. I'm still marked. Cursed. I ditch Kate Bush, I draw his focus back to me"

"Max, you can't" Leah argues. "He'll kill you"

"I survived before" Max argues. "I can survive again. I just need to keep him busy long enough so you guys can get to the attic. Then you can chop his head off. Stab him in the heart. Blow him up with some explosives Dustin cooks up. I honestly don't care, just put this asshole in his grave. Just.... try not to miss"

A/n

Ugh another dialogue chapter 🙄🙄

777 words