A Restless Night

(Elphaba's POV)

(Elphaba's POV)

I glance around and everything is dark. Wh- what’s ha-happening? Why is it so dark? I try to move to find a light, but I find I can’t move, and the pain I feel flairs up even more. I can’t move! Why can’t I move!? Why does everything hurt? It is then I hear yelling. 

I lay there in pain, gasping with each painful breath, and soon my eyes seemed to begin to adjust to the dark. As things become a little clearer I hear angry, yelling voices, "Kill the witch! Wickedness must be punished!" They are getting closer. Suddenly I panic. They're coming for me! I have to move, but again I can't. I scream in frustration and pain, and after a moment a bright light shines in my face.

“Come along Fae!” I hear a man's voice. It sounds familiar. Fiyero? Fiyero! I go to respond when he grabs me and picks me up. “Time to go.” He says. As he carries me I shudder in pain. “F-Fiyero. P-please. I- I hu-hurt.” I manage to stammer before feeling overwhelmed with pain. I can't see his face clearly, but his voice sounds distant as he responds, “It will all be over soon.” With that everything goes dark.

Screaming my eyes fling open and I sit bolt upright in my bed. Chest heaving l, my eyes darted around taking in the darkness and moonlight from the window, and sighing in relief a little getting up and going over to the vanity to assess if there is any need to use oil. "It was just a dream. Just a horrible dream. Albeit a dream that is a distant memory, but a dream nonetheless. All in the past." I tell myself, looking into the mirror. "All a dream." I say again.

But was it? I hear a voice say as I blink in surprise when reflection seems to change, and the Witch is staring back at me. "What did you say?" I was certain that I had to be imagining hearing and seeing the Witch. But was it? She repeats, and I know Oz for damned that she spoke, and I just stare again in shock not entirely believing wha- I mean, who I am seeing. The Witch sighs and looks annoyed. Stop staring there like you have no idea who I am or what I am asking you, and answer me!

"No!" I say spinning away from the mirror. "I did not just see you nor did I hear you speak! I am just imagining I am! Yes! That's it! You are a figment of my imagination brought about by the stress of my upcoming wedding. That's it, all there is to it!" I stand and begin pacing back and forth in front of the vanity.

While I agree you are stressed about marrying Glinda, you are not in fact hallucinating. The Witch scoffs. Which brings me back to what I asked before, was it just a dream?

"Of course it was! What else would it be?" I reply, continuing to pace.

A premonition.

"I'm sorry what?" I make a confused look and wonder why she would think that.

A premonition. You know a strong feeling that something is about to happen, esp-

I whip back around and glare at her. "I know what a premonition is. I'm not stupid, you know!" I snap. "Now why do you think it is a premonition?"

It makes sense if you think about it. The Witch shrugs. This isn't the first time you have had this so-called dream.