A Father's Memories

(Highminster's POV

(Highminster's POV

I have just finished getting prepared for my Galinda's wedding, and I find myself more at peace than before when she married Chuffery. Maybe it's because I know for sure she is marrying the right person now. I give one last glance in the mirror to straighten my tie before I make my way towards Glinda's bridal room.

As I approach the room Madame Marigold is coming out, and smiles at me. "Ahh, Master Upland, your daughter looks absolutely stunning!"

"I am sure she does, but then again I am likely biased." I chuckle. "Is it safe to go in?"

She gives a quick nod. "Perfectly! Lerena is just finishing up Glinda's hair while her friend, Tibbet, finishes her makeup." I give her a nod of gratitude, "Thank you, Madame Marigold."

I quietly open the door after Madame Marigold walks away, and just stand there quietly. Staring at my beautiful daughter. It seems like just yesterday she was begging me to get her pony.

"Popsicle! Pony! I want a pony, pweeeeeease!" Her lower lip quivers as she gives me big, pleading punny dog eyes as we pass the horse traders shop.

"Alright, my little Galindadoodle!" I say scoop her up and give her a twirl as she giggles in delight. Setting her down. "I tell you what since you have been such a good little girl today we can go right now and get you your pony." I smile down at her, and for the first time she is speechless for a couple seconds before she lets out an ear splitting squeal.

"Thank you, Popsicle! Oh, thank you! Thank you!" She says repeatedly as we make our way to the stables.

The memory makes me smile. She has become quite the rider since then, and still has such a love for horses. She still hasn't spotted me watching her from the door. I let my mind wander again as I watch her mother carefully place little white flowers in her hair.

It's a warm spring day and all the flowers are in bloom. Lerena, Galinda, and I have taken a picnic near the lake. I am lounging in a chair by the lake fishing, but only half paying attention to the line as I am watching the two most beautiful girls I know giggle and pick flowers.

"Popsicle! Popsicle!" Galinda skips over to me, and plops down beside me. "I have something for you." She grins.

"Oh, you do, do you?" I reel my line in and set my pole aside before giving her my full attention.

She grins, and clears her throat. Carefully she takes a flower crown out from behind her back. Standing and looking at me. she looks all serious. "My dearest, darlingest, Popsicle, it is a great honor and priv... priv..." he face scrunches up as she tries to think of the word. "Mama?"

"Privilege."Lerena tells her in a slight whisper.

"Right, privilege." Glinda gives a slight nod and turns back to me. "It is a great honor and pri... priffiledge," Lerena and I exchanged amused looks, "to prevent," she had issues even then with words, "you with this crown. It is made of the finest flowers in all of Gillil... Gilly..." She sighs and gets a determined look. "This crown is crafteded out of the bestestest flowers in aaaaalll of Oz!" Holding it out to me I kneel when she motions me to. Placing it on my head she beams proudly. "I dub thee Sir Popsicle da Great! Rise!" I stand and she immediately jumps up to me wanting me to hold her.

The memories fade and I am again brought back to the present. I watch Lenena and Tibbet finish her hair and makeup. My eyes get misty when Lerena My little Galindadoodle looks stunning. Clearing my throat, they turn to me, and Glinda beams. I return her smile. "You look stunning!"

She immediately notices my misty eyes. "Oh, Daddy don't cry," she rarely calls me that, but I cherish the times she does. She kisses my cheek, and returns it. "Walk me to the garden and to the gazebo." "What were you thinking about? I felt you watching."

I give her a smile that tries not to look sad. "I just that I can't help feel like I'm losing my baby girl." I feel a tear slide down my cheek.

"Oh, Popsicle, you won't ever lose me. I will always be your baby girl no matter how old I get." She gives me an adoring smile and gently dabs the tear away and kisses my cheek. "Also, you will be gaining another daughter to love just as much." I nod and grin, back at her, still blinking tears away. "Now, I ask again, will you walk me down to the gazebo and the aisle?"

"Of course!" I give a slight chuckle offering her my arm. Accepting my arm Lerena and Tibbet open the door, and I lead her down the hall.

~~~~~~~~~~~

(Glinda's hair & gown)