Glinda's Garden

(Elphaba's POV)

The gardens were beautiful as we wandered around. Taking Glinda's hand I smile contently. "I am so glad you agreed to walk with me."

"I am too. It is been so long." She looks at me and then chuckles. "I mean, I know we have been taking walks and hanging out with each other a few times before today, but it's different now, because, well, now you are you. I mean not that you weren't you before, Elphie. You have always been you, but-"

I turn to her and kiss her on lips which immediately shuts her up, and I chuckle pulling away She looks at me surprised and I smile. "Glinda, don't stress trying to explain yourself. I know what you meant." She nods slowly and stammers, "R-right. I- I'm sorry."

"No need to apologise my sweet." I say taking her hand and we continue down the garden path. "Your parents have a very lovely home."

"It is lovely isn't it? I always have loved the gardens. In fact, I had one garden all to myself when I was growing up, and if my memory serves me correctly if we take this path here, "she leads down a path that is off to our right, "we should come to it."

"What did you grow in your garden?" She thinks for a moment. "I grew bluebells, tulips, hydrangeas, and roses. Roses are my favorite." She sighs contently as she says it and smiles. "Oh! I also had strawberries! I love those too."

"Sounds beautiful. I hope it is still there."

"It is!" Glinda squeals and pulls on my hand as we draw closer to an area surrounded by a tall hedge. We stop after going through a gate. Apparently there was a wall behind the hedge. "Here it is Elphie, my garden!" I slowly turn in circle staring in awe. There were cascades and fountains of flowers everywhere you looked, and there was one area that is bursting with strawberries.

"Sweet Oz!" I whisper. "Glinda it's gorgeous!" As I turn I notice there is also a gazebo that is enclosed with glass, a swing hanging from one of trees, a lovely marble fountain, as well as a bench that circled around the trunk of another tree.

(Glinda's POV)

Watching Elphie makes me smile. It's nice to be able to see her so carefree makes me happy. It has been far too long.

"Glinda!" Elphie calls from over near fountain. I smile going over to where she is. "Look!" She says excitedly. "There are Koi in here!"

"Really? I'm surprised they are still there." I smile watching them. "I would have figured that they would have died off by now."

"They did, but I always added new ones when one passed away." Startled Elphie and I both turn around to see Old Jake standing there. "Sorry girls. Didn't mean to startle you. I had just come to tend the garden."

"You did all this?" I ask in awe, and he nods. "Yeah. After you left I couldn't bare to see it abandoned because I knew how much you had always loved it here, and so I took to tending it."

"You have done a marvelous job." Elphie says smiling. "I haven't seen a finer garden before now." Old Jake grins. "Thank you Miss Elphaba."

"Please, call me Elphie."

"Alright Elphie." He nods and then turns to me. "I didn't realize you were going to be here."

"To be honest, I didn't know myself until Elphie told me we were going to spend the day wandering around the gardens, and that's when I remembered this spot." I look around smiling. "I loved spending time here. It was my own place where I got to do whatever I wanted. On rare occasions Momsie would join me, or rarer yet Popsicle." I close my eyes remembering how I wished those I loved most would spend more time here with me.

I am startled when I feel a hand gently touch my shoulder. "Glinda?" I look up at Elphie and she looks as if she can tell what I'm thinking. "Maybe your parents will spend time here with you again." Taking me into a hug she kisses the top of my head and whispers, "I promise you I will spend all the time in here with you that you want." I give her a small smile. "Thanks Elphie."

"You're welcome, my sweet." She whispers, and Old Jake clears his throat causing both of us to jump. "Sorry ladies, but I wanted to let you know I'll leave you be. If you would like Glinda I can leave the gardening tools here."

"Thank you." I smile at him. "I would like that." He touches the brim of his head and gives us a nod before leaving us alone again in the garden.

Elphie and I spend the remainder of the day working in there. Pulling weeds, turning over some soil, pruning plants, and finally just sitting together under one of the trees.

"Today was a good day." Elphie says and I can hear the joy in her voice. "Today has been more than good, Elphie. It's been wonderful!" I smile leaning against her for a little bit longer before we head back to the cabin hand in hand.