Seeking Permission

(Elphaba’s POV)

(Elphaba’s POV)

“Good morning, Elphie!” I hear, and look up from the book I’m reading to see Glinda walk into the room. “Good morning, my sweet. You’re up early.” I say and set the book aside standing to greet her and kiss her.

“Momsie, and I are going to get our gowns for the masquerade. We were informed they are ready, and we are going to leave this morning so that we can get the gowns today and then spend tomorrow doing some shopping. We will be back late tomorrow.” She replies, and I shake my head and smile. “Sounds like you ladies have a busy schedule.”

“Oh we do!” She nods and then she snaps. “I have a question for you.”

“What is it?”

“Do you mind if Bessie comes with us? I could use her help. Unless you need her here?” Glinda asks looking at me hopeful. I shrug. “I don’t have a problem with her joining you. She isn’t just my servant. She is yours as well.” Glinda squeals and throws her arms around me and kisses me. “Thank you!”

“It’s no problem! It isn’t like I need her here. Besides, I think she will enjoy getting away from the hussle and bussle of the house.” I smile, calling for Bessie, and as she comes in she smiles at us. “Good morning ladies! What can I do for you?”

“Actually, Bessie, I didn’t call you here because of anything we need.” I say laughing a little as she looks surprised and confused. Before she can say anything more Glinda pipes up. “Bessie, I was wondering if you wanted to assist Momsie and I when we go get our gowns today? We will be leaving in an hour and return late tomorrow.”

“I would love to! As song as it isn’t going to be a problem.” She says looking excited, and I shake my head in response. “It won’t be a problem at all! Go have fun. I can handle myself for at least one night.”

“Thank you, Miss Elphaba!” Bessie grins and begins to walk backwards towards the door. “If you would please excuse me I must go pack!” Glinda and I nod, and she quickly leaves to get ready.

An hour later I see Glinda, her mother, and Bessie off, and once they leave I turn and head back into the house. I had already decided what I wanted to do, and as crazy at it sounds I was happy Glinda and Bessie were gone, because now I can do what I have been wanting to do for quite some time. I make way through the hall to a set if doors that lead to Highmuster’s study. I pause for just a moment and nod confidently, and then knock.

“Come in!” I hear him call, and I slowly open the door. Highmuster looks up from his desk. “Oh! Hello Elphaba! To what do I owe the visit?”

“I was wondering if you might have a moment to speak with you, if you aren’t busy that is!” I say quickly. He sets what he is working on aside. “Of course! I’m just looking over a few things. Please, have a seat.” He says motioning to one of the chairs in front of his desk.

I take a seat  and smile at him. “Thank you, Sir.”

“Please, Elphaba, call me Highmuster.”

“O-okay Highmuster.” I say with a nod, and he looks at me. “So Elphaba, what can I do for you?” I take a deep breath because I was feeling rather excited and needed to calm down. When I finally calm down a little I look at him. “Highmuster, I would like to talk to you about something that has been on my mind for a few months.”

“Go ahead, and I will do what I can to assist you.” He says, and I smile before going on. Alright Elphie, here goes! I think give him a confident smile as I proceed. “Well, Sir, as you know I care very deeply for you daughter, and I would like to have permission to ask your daughter to marry me, please?”

“I see.” He says and sits back in his chair studying me. I find my confidence starting to crumble as he just sits there quietly studying me. I fidget uncomfortably wishing that he would say something! Anything! Then he shifts and sighs. “Elphaba, I need to be honest with you. I am a very hesitant to allow you to marry Glinda.”

My heart drops with my confidence. I had never in my wildest dreams expected him to say that! Okay, maybe in my wildest, but still! “M-may I ask why?” I manage to stammer out.

“Yes you may, and I will tell you why.” Highmuster sits up fully and looks me straight in the eyes. “I hesitate because there was a time when you two were younger, and Glinda fell in love with you. She changed herself to try and be better for you, and then when she gave you her all you leave her.” I am stunned at what he says. “You left my daughter sitting alone on a train to return to school while you ran off. You shattered my daughter’s heart, Elphaba.” He says pointing at me. “My daughter was never the same after that. You never even made an attempt to contact her after that until it was too late for you two, and to be perfectly honest with you, Elphaba, I am not sure I want to risk that happening again, and so I am going to have to say no.” He says turning back to his work. I am too stunned to move or say anything. He glances up from his work and looks at me. “You may go.” He says dismissing me, I nod feeling defeated, shocked, and heartbroken. I slowly get up and walk out the door.