An Explanation for Lerena

(Bessie's POV)

(Bessie's POV)

After two days of traveling I arrive back at the Upland's estate much to the sunrise of Master and Lady Upland, and as I approach the entrance of the house they greet me. "Bessie!" Lady Upland says sounding surprised. "We weren't expecting you and Glinda back yet."

"Speaking of Glinda," master Upland says, "where is she?"

"Lady Glinda is still at the Emerald Palace."

"Why aren't you there with her then?" Master Upland asks raising an eye, and I clear my throat a little. "We had a... a disagreement of sorts, and I am no longer I'm her employment."

"She fired you?" Lady Upland looks very surprised, and I shake my head and reply slowly. "No. Not exactly."

"Either she fired you or she didn't! Which is is Bessie?" Master Upland says impatiently crossing his arms and glaring at me.

"Alright fine! She didn't fire me! I quit!" I snap glaring daggers at him. "I quit because I can't keep working with her! Not while she is mentally unstable!"

"She is not mentally unstable!" Master Upland roars and raises his hand to strike me. I shy away, but before he can follow through Lady Upland grabs his arm. "Highmuster!" He stops glaring at her. "Highmuster, not now. This is not the place nor the time for disciplining because your carriage is due here any moment to take you to the western region of Gililkin." He growls slightly, and Lerena goes on. "I will make certain that Bessie is disciplined accordingly for her outburst towards you and what she said about Glinda. Now please go on before you are late."

Just then another carriage arrives and Master Upland nods to Lady Upland. "Very well Lerena." He leans down and kisses her. "I trust you can deal with the situation. I will see you in a month." He says boarding the carriage and heading out.

Lady Upland turns back to me once the carriage is out of sight. "Now Bessie. We need to talk."

"Very well, but if you want to talk then you will have to do it in my quarters where I am heading now to get the rest of my belongings." I move past her and head towards my room. She follows me, and as soon as we get in my room she closes the door. I ignore her at first as I begin to take my things out of the closet and put them into the turn at the foot of the bed.

"Bessie?" I pause and look over at her. "Yes, Lady Upland?"

"What do you mean you quit working for Glinda because she isn't mentally stable?" She asks looking at me curiously. I stop packing and motion for her her take a seat by the bed. "You may want to sit down." She take as seat in the chair, and I sit down on the bed. I am quiet for a minute, and then run my hand through my hair. "Lady Glinda hasn't been doing well since you and Master Upland forbid her and Miss Elphaba to see each other. She has become depressed, stressed out, lonely, and she really isn't herself so much so that she began to self medicate again."

"Again?" She asks worriedly, and I nod. "Lady Glinda had started taking medications after she and Sir Chuffrey had gotten married. She wasn't happy with him because she never loved him."

"She loved Elphaba."

"Yes she did, I mean she does love her. Anyways, after Elphaba's alleged death Lady Glinda got worse. She had nightmares and began waking up screaming. Her migraines grew worse and she slumped to an all time low. She took pills whenever she felt like it. Most the time she was 'checked' out of everything going in around her despite the show she put on for the people. I watched and begged her to stop, but she wouldn't listen."

"I... I had no idea she had been using or having such trouble. She never said anything." Lady Upland looked surprised and sad.

"Lady Glinda didn't want anyone to know, and so when she got you note about Elphaba being alive she had to make certain she wasn't hallucinating." I look over at Lady Upland. " When she got here and found out for herself that Elphaba really was alive she changed for the better, and I don't think you realized she literally gave up everything she knew to be with Elphaba."

"I understand she gave up being ruler of Oz and left Sir Chuffrey."

"Yes, and when she did she found her reason to keep going. She stopped taking pills, she began to be happy again, and when she was Elphaba she was complete again. It had been too long since she had a reason to go on. Before that she didn't care if she lived or died." I sighs. "I believe until she found Elphaba again she was trying to die."

"I... I'm sorry." Lady Upland says quietly. "I didn't know. As I said I knew she loved Elphaba, but I didn't realized her life literally depended on it."

"So you see why I can't stay and watch her throw her life away again?" Lady Upland nods. "I do, but please don't leave yet. I will make this right. I also want you to stay on, and I will pay your wages to serve Elphaba."

I think for a moment before giving my response. "Very well. I will stay, but only to serve Miss Elphaba."

"Thank you Bessie." Lady Upland says with a smile. "I will leave you to finish collecting your things and have someone come help move them to the cabin."

"Thank you Lady Upland." I say dropping a small curtsy as I escort her to my door. She leaves and I turn back to my things. "Well this should be interesting." I say quietly to myself.