Discussing the Party

(Elphaba’s POV)

I make my way quickly back to the party I need to find Glinda. I need to get her away from here so we can talk, but I can't find her in the crowd on the dance floor, and so I move towards the edge of the dance floor. Unfortunately that did not help me find her at all!

It was nearing the early hours of dawn when the party finally started to break up. I had been frantically watching for my fiance, but I have had no luck. I did finally manage to find her parents though, and I approached them trying not seem as if there was anything wrong. I notice that they have just finished dancing. I make my way over to them, and bow when they see me.

“Ah! Hello again!” Highmuster says smiling at me. “How has your evening been? Good I trust?” I nod and then make a motion to him to follow me. “Is there something you need, Sir?”  I go to nod but then I see Glinda hurriedly heading our way.

“Momsie! Popsicle!” She says sounding strangely not herself as she begins to talk as she walks up to them. “If you don't mind I am going to excuse myself. I feel rather ill and my head is hurting.” She says not noticing me at first, and then smiles when she sees me. “Excuse me, I didn't see you there.” I make a motion letting her know it's okay. “I hope you will forgive me, but I am feeling a tad under the weather and must excuse myself from the party now.” She says to me and nod understandingly, and then point to the enormous clock that was hanging over the door of the ballroom, myself, and then the door to indicate I was leaving as well.

“You are leaving?” Lerena says sounding rather disappointed. I nod and indicate with simple signs that it's getting late and I have a long trip ahead. She nods and gives me a small smile. “I understand. It has been a pleasure having you attend, Sir.” I bow a farewell to her and then shake Highmuster's. “Have a good night, Sir.” He says to me, and I nod then turn to Glinda, take her hand and kiss it as I bow.

As I leave I have to make sure I am seen going out the gate, because I don't want anyone to suspect anything. After I go aways down the road before I turned off into the woods and rode back towards the Upland's house. I knew by taking this route I would come up to the rear of the cabin and be unnoticed.

Almost twenty minutes later I enter the cabin, and immediately drop the mask, gloves, cape and voluminous hat on the floor inside the door. I make my way over to the stove and get a fire going before putting a kettle on to start to heat. I needed to calm my nerves if I was going to talk to Glinda about what went on when I danced with the older woman that had accompanied me as my last dance partner.

I was pacing the floor so lost in thought I didn't hear Glinda arrive. “Elphie?” She says placing a hand on my shoulder to stop my pacing. “Are you alright? You seem lost in thought.” I start slightly and relax when I hear her. “Sorry Glinda. I suppose I was.”

“What about?” She asks curiously and goes over to the kettle which was whistling by now, takes out the tea, and fixes us each a mug. I take it from her gratefully and we both to sit on couch. “Just something that happened at the party.”

“Really? I wanted to talk to you about something that happened as well.” She says and look at her curiously, but she shakes her head. “You tell me what happened first.”

“Glinda, you can tell m-”

“Elphie, you first!” She insists. “You seem to have been dwelling on it to the point where you are worried about it.”

With a sigh I give in. “Do you remember the lady and gentleman who were speaking with your parents when we returned from the garden after we got engaged?” She nods and takes a sip of tea. “Well, the lady and I danced after you and the gentleman went to dance, and as we danced she began to talk to me.”

“That isn't so unusual.” Glinda says chuckling a little, and I roll my eyes. “Yeah, I know that, but it was what she said that had… has me shaken.” I tell her and then go on to explain the conversion. “The lady said that she knew why you really gave up power, and it wasn't because of stress. She said it was because you were in love.” She giggles at this. “Glinda, she said it was because you were in love with me!” I say putting emphasis on the me part, and she about drops her tea cup in shock.

“Are you sure? Perhaps you misunderstood.” She says coming to sit by me. I shake my head. “Of course I am sure!”

“Elphie, how could she have known that it was you she was talking to? You didn't speak or maybe accidently show your skin?” She asks worriedly.

“No, I didn't do either of those, but the thing is, it felt or feels like I know her.” I say furrowing my brow as I sit down and stare at the floor in thought. “Her eyes were familiar and there was something in voice that sounded familiar as well.”

“I don't like that there another person who seems to know you are alive.” She says sitting beside me now. “You know, that one guy who danced with me last said something that has had me worried as well.”

“What was it?” I ask her worriedly patting the seat beside me.

(Glinda's POV)

I sit down beside Elphie and lean on her. “He said that the people of Oz won't be so quick to forget me, because if events, your supposed death being one, that took place during the time I ruled over them.”

“He is correct, dear. The people adored you, and they always thought highly of you.” She says giving me a small smile. I try to return it but it fades quickly.  “I know that did, but he also spoke almost as if he too knew you weren't, aren't dead.”

“What do you mean?” She says sitting up when I say this, and I swallow. “Well, he… he said that should the people learn of what really happened concerning the events that took place with your death, they would easily turn on me, or something along those line.”

“I see.” She says scowling as she thinks.

“Oh Elphie!” I say almost wailing as I burst into tears. “What are we to do? I hoped after our engagement we could be happy, and… and that we would be able to live quietly together!”

“Hush now, my sweet.” She says enveloping me into a hug. “Things will be okay. I'm sure we are just panicking over nothing. Now we can still have a good night together.” She says tilts my chin up, grabs a handkerchief and dries my tears. “We will worry about all this later. As you said, tonight we are supposed to enjoy each other.”

“Y-you're right.” I say giving a small smile as I look into those gorgeous chocolate colored eyes of hers. Our lips meet and it's as if all the cares of the party disappear. Leaving the tea to goes cold we returned to the bedroom for a night of bliss.

Author's Note

I apologise for the delay I updating and for the not so good chapter. I have had a lot going on. I also just got a job that will tie up most of free time when I am not homeschooling. I ask you all please be patient, and I will do the best I can to update when I can. Thank you again for all your support.