The Last Straw

(Elphaba's POV)

(Elphaba's POV)

Dear Journal,

Glinda's words stung when she confessed to me a little over a week ago about having slept with Chuffrey, and since then I have done my best to avoid her. It hasn't been easy, but so far I have managed. Don't get me wrong, I don't enjoy ignoring her, but I just can't be around her, and  I need time to decide what is going to happen. Do I stay with Glinda or do I leave her? I just don't know. Why do feelings have to be so damn complicated!?

~E.M. Thropp

I slam my journal shut and sigh as I lean back and pinch the bridge of my nose. Suddenly I hear I heat Glinda coming down the hall. She is chatting with one of the servants and I quickly stand and go to exit the room. Before I can though Glinda and I bump into each other at the doorway.

“Elphaba!?” She says a little surprised. “What are you doing here?”

“Leaving!” I say and push past her and head towards one if the many unoccupied rooms. I know we should talk, but I can't. Not yet.

Lost in my thoughts I wander into an empty room and spot a large windowed seat. Immediately I go settle myself onto it and stare outside. It's growing colder as autumn drags on, and I have heard the servants talking about a harvest masquerade ball that the Upland's will be hosting in about a week. You can bet I will not be attending! If Glinda and I were together then perhaps I would reconsider and go with her, but we aren't. Besides, I can't stand parties.

“Elphie.” I hear a woman's voice. “Elphaba. Wake up!”  I startle awake and it's Bessie. “I have been looking for you. Come on! Supper is ready and they are waiting for you.”

I sigh. “Bessie, I don't want to eat with them I told-” She cuts me off. “Elphaba!” I go silent. “Master and Lady Upland have not requested your presence.” She says giving me a slight glare, and I knew then I had no choice. They wanted me there and so I must go. Sighing I get up heading out the door. “Very well.”

It takes me only a few minutes to arrive at the dining room. I really do not want to  even be in the same room as Glinda, but I know I don't have a choice, and so I take a deep breath and enter the room. “I'm sorry I'm late.” I apologise to Highmuster and Lerena before taking my seat across of Glinda.

“It perfectly alright, Elphie.” Lerena says and nods towards the servants and they begin dishing out food. “So how have you been, Elphie?” She asks smiling at me. “Fine.” Is all I say flatly with no expression on my face.  “Well, um, okay.” Lerena says and looks at Glinda. “How about you dear?” I glance over at Glinda to see what her reaction would be. “Oh. I… I'm doing great.” She says giving her mother a fake smile. “I have been busy getting ready for the Harvest Masquerade.”

“Ah! Yes!” Highmuster says. “That is coming up next week.” He looks over at me. “We host a party every year at harvest time and this year we are doing a Masquerade, and all the governors and leaders of the various regions of Oz come. It is a time if unification and celebration. I guarantee you will have the time of your life!”

“I don't dance or attend parties.” I say not looking up from my plate. “Besides I think it is best if I don't attended. I wouldn't want to have someone recognize me.”

“That's ridiculous!” Both Lerena and Highmuster say together. “You will be fine, and it would do you good to have a little fun.” I go to respond when Glinda speaks. “Momsie. Popsicle. She said she didn't want to attend, and so I say don't push her. The last thing we need is for Elphaba to have a panic attack in the middle of the party.”

“That is the least of my worries!” I snap at Glinda. “I just don't wish to attend. As I stated before I do not enjoy parties or social gatherings in general. I never have, and I never will!”

“If you at least tried I'm sure you would enjoy it, but no you enjoy being alone! You enjoy the fact it makes people feel sorry for you, and-” Glinda retorts as coolly as I had to her. “Pity me? I don't look for anyone's pity, and just so you know there isn't a damn soul in Oz who ever felt sorry for me!” I growl standing up abruptly causing my chair to clatter backwards to the ground. “That's the difference between us, Glinda! You feel the need to be everyone's business whether they want you there or not, and you will do anything to get attention! That includes resorting betraying people who thought you loved them!” By this point I am seething and trembling in anger as I tower over table and glare venomously at her.

“Oh so that's what you think I am? A slut? A liar?” Glinda yells at me. “Well let me tell you something, Elphaba, I wish you really had died three years ago when Dorothy doused you in water, because it sure as hell would have made my life way easier right about now!” I stand there stunned and the whole room is silent as her words sink in. You should have died! She wishes I was dead. Suddenly, I know I have to get out of there and get away, and so without another word I race from the room.