Masquerade

(Kassie’s POV)

(Kassie’s POV)

I smile to myself as Elphaba leaves knowing that it won’t be long before she settles in the cabin and makes herself some tea. I don’t watch her for more than a moment as there is more food and beverages that need to be taken out, and so I begin to hand fellow servants trays and platters to take to the party, and once the last of the plates goes out I sigh and take my apron off. For now my duties are done, and I have a bit of time to myself. I decide to take advantage of that and slip out the kitchen door into the night air.

I quickly and quietly make my way through the garden, that has also been decorated, and past a few couples that are wandering around chatting unnoticed. Soon I come to the nearly hidden trail that leads to the cabin, and it is here I look around quickly and seeing I am alone head down the trail. It isn’t more than ten minutes when the cabin comes into view, and quicken my pace still remaining silent as I make my way around the back of the cabin. It is dark with the exception of a single light that is on in the back. I know that Elphaba is in that room because she would never risk having a light on at night on the side of the house someone would easily see it.

Creeping closer I risk looking in the window, and sure enough I’m right! There is Elphaba lounging on the couch reading, and I smile when I see she is drinking the tea as I hoped she would. Depending on how long she has had the tea and how fast she has been consuming it the effects of the tea, or I should say, the drug should kick in. Thankfully I have plenty of time before I need to get back to the kitchen.

Surprisingly it isn’t long before I see Elphaba beginning to nod off, and smile as she downs the last bit of the tea. That a girl! Drink it all down. I can’t help but laugh as she looks a bit confused when she suddenly seems to have trouble holding her book and then struggles to get it as it falls to the ground. She leans back giving up on trying to get the book after a few tries, she closes her eyes and after a few minutes it is evident she is sound asleep.

Chuckling to myself I make my way back towards the house, but I don’t go right to the house instead I head towards the main gates of the estate keeping out of the sight and way of the carriages that are still coming to the party. I slip out an old, rarely use servant's entrance a  ways away from the main gate there I am greeted with a carriage that I knock in the door twice. “Enter!” I hear a familiar voice call, and I slip in.

“Kassie, my dear, you finally made it.” A familiar male’s voice says, and I nod. “Sorry I wasn’t here sooner. I had to finish things in the kitchen and then I went down to the cabin.” I watched as he looks upset. “Don’t worry dear, I made certain I was not followed, and I came to tell you that

Elphaba is asleep. There is no way she would be able to show up at the party even if she wanted to.”

“What did you do?”

“I made sure she had the special tea with her. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to be a little extra cautious.” I smile at him. “Now I must be going, and you need to get into the party and do your thing now.” With that we hug quickly and I leave heading back to the house, and the carriage makes its way towards the house.