interview 7 A chat with @LeaSheryn

1. When do you begin your writing routine? (morning, afternoon, day, evening) 

Mornings, generally. However, if I'm fully involved in a story, I will continue writing for the rest of the day.

2. What do you need for your writing routine? (laptop, notebook, ect)

 laptop

3. What is your main focus, when you're working on a story? 

Character development and story building

4. What is something important you've come to learn, since you've begun writing?

 Editing. I write off the cuff. Therefore, my focus on the initial story is to tell the story. It is, in effect, imperfect in the first draft. I use Grammarly (an editing assistant) and run the novel three times. I also re-read several times and make improvements.

5. Do you believe having some sort of writing routine is helpful?

Yes, it sets aside a portion of the day strictly for writing.

6. What is a writing strength of yours? 

Imagination and character building. I read a lot—classic literature, history, and biography. A good writer is a good reader. I draw a lot from what I know and research what I don't know.  

7. What's is a writing weakness of yours? 

Dangling modifiers and missing commas. 

 8. Do you ever share your writing outside Wattpad? (other social media platforms, family, friends) 

I used to use other social media platforms, such as Writer's Café and Story Star. Now I'm strictly using Wattpad. I also share with family and close friends. 

 9. What's a good piece of writing advice, when it comes to beginning a new story? 

Get to know your characters and plot carefully. Run every aspect of your story through your mind before you start.

 10. Who is an author you admire and why? (on or outside Wattpad)

 I admire Dickens and Twain. I read a lot and admire many writers. However, definitively, I have to go with the Titans of Classic Literature. They both have distinctive writing styles and tremendous personalities. 

11. Do you believe an author interacting with their readers is important?

 Yes, absolutely. I enjoy chatting about writing and interacting with others. We can all improve our skill if we connect with others. Also, sharing personal thoughts and ideas builds confidence between people. Let your reader know you are a real person who shares the same struggles and life's challenges with them.

12. How do you believe a writer can build a fanbase? 

It goes back to interaction and confidence. If you get to know other writers or the people who read your work, they build confidence in you. Then, they are more likely to continue reading your work or look forward to reading a new story. 

Story overview

Title: Whispering Springs

status: Complete

Genre: Adventure

Summary: 

Deserted for years, Whispering Springs, New Mexico lies moldering beneath the hot arid sun. No one has set foot on its dusty street in years. Until a group of hippies, taking a shortcut, stumble upon it.

Why should someone consider reading it?

 Compelling characters. Whispering Springs is a story motivated by the actions of its characters.

What inspired the overall idea of the story?

 I began Whispering Springs as a Western time traveler and a ghost story. However, as I began to write, the main characters altered the aspect of the story. As I wrote, it became more the story of Greg and Gia Williams getting lost in the desert, and how they dealt with the unfolding situation.

Is your story a standalone novel or a piece of a series?

 Stand Alone