interview #3 A chat with @SarahQuinnMcGrath

1. When do you begin your writing routine? (morning, afternoon, day, evening)

I have four kids and a full-time teaching job (during the school year), so I write whenever I can squeeze it in. I definitely try to write in the morning before my kids get up, with a cup of coffee, and I like to write in the evening with a glass of wine. Other than that, it's whenever I can find time!

2. What do you need for your writing routine? (laptop, notebook, ect)

 I write on my laptop (occasionally on my phone), and I do like a beverage (though I don't need it).

3. What is your main focus, when you're working on a story?

My main focus is knocking out that word requirement I set myself--every chapter is different.

4. What is something important you've come to learn, since you've begun writing?

I have learned to let the story tell itself, not to stress too much about the ending or all the bits and pieces. It will all come together!

5. Do you believe having some sort of writing routine is helpful?

I think routine depends on your situation. I don't have too much routine just because my life is so busy and my schedule relatively unpredictable.

6. What is a writing strength of yours?

 I believe I do a pretty good job of keeping you turning pages, of setting up mysteries you'll want to solve.

7. What's is a writing weakness of yours?

I really, really hate editing. I just don't really do it. It's like a one-and-done for me. This can be bad and good. I don't dwell, but sometimes I could probably spend a little more time reflecting on my work.

8. Do you ever share your writing outside Wattpad? (other social media platforms, family, friends)

 I share with family and friends, but I'm really bad with other social media. I have only the Wattpad account and a few works on Amazon.

9. What's a good piece of writing advice, when it comes to beginning a new story?

When beginning a new story, I think you need to grab readers right away. Older works could keep an audience's attention, but nowadays, people need something to keep reading for, particularly on Wattpad. So make something weird or wild happen, even in that first chapter.

10. Who is an author you admire and why? (on or outside Wattpad)

 I read a lot of classic literature. My favorite work is Dante's Inferno, because the author interweaves so much symbolism and allusion. The work is political, comedic, moral, tragic, horrific, and allegorical. It's amazing.

11. Do you believe an author interacting with their readers is important?

I love being able to communicate with readers when they have comments and questions and seeing what they think about my twists and turns!

12 How do you believe a writer can build a fanbase?

If you know--tell me! I haven't figured that out, yet ;)

Title: Dark Heart

Title: Dark Heart

Status: Complete

Genre: Horror

Summary:

One summer, four teens discover something they'd forever after wish they hadn't about the wealthy resort that is the heart of their otherwise sleepy community. The horror of what happened has stayed with each as they've gone their own ways and attempted to make lives for themselves, but fifteen years later, they're called back to their home, to one another, each as broken as the next. Because the darkness they unearthed is loath to let them know its secrets, and when darkheart wakes, it can't be put to rest without being satiated.

*This novel is told in chapters that alternate the past with the present.

Why should someone consider reading it?

I think they might find a deep dive into the psyche of four people traumatized by a cosmic entity and a cultish resort intriguing!

What inspired the overall idea of the story?

 Some life experience at a weird resort I've bee to as well as my interest in attempting a cosmic horror. I also like crystals.

Is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series?

stand alone