interview #7 SUMMER PROMPT CONTEST 2023 WINNER @JankyFluffy

story entry: Tides of Fortune

placement: Summer 2023 Choice Pick

1 What is the title of your story? and what inspired the title?

Tides of Fortune 

2 What is your story about?

Grieving Kelvin attempts to rescue a puppy at his sister's wedding. But his grandmother left him a magical gift before she died. 

3 Is the summer prompt contest, the first contest you entered?

No, I've been nominated for a national poetry and a fiction award under another pen name.

4 What was your reaction to discovering you were one of the winners?

Giddy and I danced. Because I love this contest. I also found out that two of my novels made it to round three of the Ambys on the same day. And a couple of days ago, I found out that my mystery novel (Muses, Mishaps, and Murder!) took second place in the Sunset Moon Awards. It's magical, and it feels like a dream. 

5 What is your favorite summer activity?

 Sleeping in if I can. 

6 do you have any future plans with the story you entered? (standalone novel/series)

My plans for Tides of Fortune are to add a touch more description and turn it into a short story collection. I want to play with some flash fiction ideas. 

7 What's a good piece of advice to give someone, who desires to enter a contest?

If you want to enter a contest, remember you will lose some and win others. I've learned by submitting.

Not every judge will like a writer's writing, and no good book will receive only five-star reviews. Even if a writer wins, the judge might make suggestions for improvement. It's also personal taste, so if a writer loses that doesn't mean their writing is terrible. Some of my books rated a lot higher depending on who judged it. However, I learned I needed to improve my blurb for my fantasy romance, Conform or Suffer. Every judge had the same complaint that my blurb was too short. 

What is your favorite summer memory? (optional to answer)

My favorite summer memories are going on vacation with my husband and girls. It doesn't matter what we do.

9 What is the most important piece of a story?

The cover |quality of the story| type of story

The most important part of the story is a finished story. You can have a great cover or blurb, but it doesn't matter if all you have is the first three chapters. Readers want writers who care enough to finish. 

10 How does being a part of the Wattpad community help you as writer?

I struggled with self-image due to being neurodivergent. There is a constant fear that my writing isn't good enough. And no matter how much a story is edited, I will always find a typo. Sometimes typos slip through, even when my fiction is edited professionally. But the friends I found here have boosted me. @WendyyWolfe has been magical in her support. She has helped me so much. 

11 What genre of story attracts you as a reader?

As a reader, I don't read mature fiction. I love poetry and serialized short stories. Some of the most amazing reads on Wattpad have less than ten chapters. While I don't really read mature fiction, the genres I like to read are eclectic. I read dystopian, fantasy, cozy mystery, sci-fi, comedy, paranormal, spiritual, and more. 

12 What's a good piece of writing advice, that you've learned?

I use text-to-speech and grammar checkers to help with editing. But remember, grammar checkers can be wrong, so double-check. I avoid italics even though they are technically grammatically correct. After doing research and talking with dyslexic readers, I decided I would no longer use them because they can be hard to read. 

13 Do you believe contest and interview platforms help you as a writer?

 Yes, I have learned so much from contests. It boosted my confidence even when judges found things they wished I changed.

Even when I lose, I have met new friends or ended up on reading lists. Don't worry if you lose. 

14 Since joining Wattpad, do you believe you've become a better writer?

I think I am a more confident writer, and I feel Wattpad has helped me grow in my creative journey.   

15 What is a must have item for you to enjoy the summer?

Water and sunblock are must-have summer items.