interview #9 Summer Prompt Contest 2023 Winner @WendyyWolfe

placement: Summer 2023 Hottest Pick

entry: The Little Road Trip (Kill) Handbook.

1. What is the Title of your story and what inspired the Title?

The Little Road Trip (Kill) Handbook.

The inspiration for the title came to me as I searched for the perfect image to use for the cover of the story. I seem to start my stories with a cover first and I don't know the reason for that except that art visuals inspire me.

2. What is your story about?

The story is about what can happen when a person, does not listen to their gut intuition, as we see the main character Duke, struggle with what he wants to do opposed to what his gut is saying!

3. Is the Summer Prompt Contest the contest you entered?

I wrote this story specifically for this contest but it is not the first contest I have ever entered.

4. What was your reaction to discovering you were one of the winners?

I was flabbergasted! (That's an old family word my mom and aunt used to say.) To say the least I was shocked! It is the very first win I have experienced on Wattpad, and I felt so proud! Thankful too, for the support of some very faithful followers such as @JankyFluffy as we decided to both enter after talking about it. My reaction was Oh my Goodness! Because I was a t work when I read the notice!

5. What is your favorite summer activity? 

 Camping and hiking. Because I love exploring and viewing beautiful settings. I also love traveling. Especially to places I have never been. 

 6. Do you have any future plans with the story you entered? 

Not to extend the story. But I am going to publish an anthology of my short stories into one book. That is my future plan. 

7. What is good piece of advice to give someone who desire to enter a contest?

Put your whole heart into it! No matter what kind of contest it is as there are many types. My favorite type are these prompt contests because I can let my imagination roll off the cuff and I really enjoy creating! That's my advice. Don't be afraid to do these prompt contests because you have to write a brand new story, but rather embrace the opportunity to create the best little story you can. A reader will be a keeper to tell what your attitude is just by reading it. If you truly care about your writing as a career, they will know it!

8. What is your favorite summer memory?

I grew up on a small farm and one of my favorite memories was getting up at dawn, packing a lunch, gathering reading and drawing materials and riding my horse for miles into the woods to a little creek where I would sit and draw pictures or read a book while my pony rested nearby. I was about 11 years old.

9. What is the most important piece of a story?

 The cover| Quality of the story| Type of story

 Hmmm. I feel these are all 3 very important part of a whole piece which you cannot do without. A reader sees the cover first so maybe making sure the cover gives a hint of what they may find inside, a selling point, if you will, clenching a marketing aspect. But if the quality is poor like I mentioned earlier the reader will know it. So quality will certainly be .  

10. How does being a part of the Wattpad community help you as a writer?

By giving me accountability. It is good to have others to answer to. And being part of Wattpads community is like a family I love very much! A machine cannot run without all its parts and each follower, reader, leader here helps in their own special way. I have learnt a lifetime of my craft right here on Wattpad and made very good friends and also received a ton of instruction from reviewers and contests such as this one which have strengthened me in so many ways! Too many to count! One example is how @JankyFluffy has helped me learn about editing and it's importance! The Review points I was given by @BooksbyLwordpress are invaluable to me because using those I can look at my work with a different eye and discover how to make it better!

11. What genre of story attracts you as a reader?

I will read just about any genre, now to include fan fiction which I never imagined I would enjoy! I guess my most favorite genre is Fantasy.

12. What's a good piece of writing advice, you've learned?

Being encouraged to use true punctuation! (Yes, @JankyFluffy taught me that!) And the review I received from you. I want to study it closely as soon as I can put time to it!

13. Do you believe contest and interview platforms help you as a writer?

A resounding yes! Absolutely! So many ways I could say why, but the one main reason is because contests teach you how to use your imagination off the cuff which is good for me because by nature I am a planner, and that sometimes crosses swords with my allowing my imagination to flow! Interviews are a tool for improvement of your art, your craft which we must have if we want to be the best! Interviews also allow us to be human and gives a reader a tiny slice of our lives which we love to share !

14. Since joining Wattpad, do you believe you have become a better writer?

I have become a much more conscientious writer! I have become a more purpose driven writer! 

15. What is a must have item for you to enjoy the summer?

Time. Time to explore and breath and imagine. So my must have item is a vehicle to take me to fabulous places! Historical places. The beach. The woods. This is my personal cure for writer block and the answer to my perfect summer is a Little Road Trip.