Chapter 45 - The Hunt Pt. 9

Nathaniel wiped away the sweat off his eyebrows with his sleeves and glared at the overly tough boar. It didn't even seem to slow down at all, and only just became more furious from their combined attacks.

He clicked his tongue and studied its body. The fur was so thick that his sword could not properly penetrate it. Even Ezekiel could not leave one mark as he. This was making the two frustrated. They were already getting tired because they have lost enough energy already from the earlier escapades.

"Nathan, I will try to hit it with my ray or at least blind it, but it would be dangerous," Ezekiel uttered with furrowed brows.

The usual smiling prince wasn't smiling anymore and had masked himself a serious expression.

Nathan's head swiveled to him, "That's.... "

He knows what the prince meant by this. Ezekiel's light ray, which is literally its name, is like death lasers. But it is still premature and incomplete. If he even does just one slight miscalculation, it would harm anyone in close proximity, even himself.

"No, don't do it. We can think of something," he said and turned to the stomping boar.

Its heavy hooves make the ground shake.

'The others might be coming this way. Then it would be advantageous to us.'

"Hey!" Nadia yells which caught their attention.

She was now standing not far from them with her bow ready.

"I will shoot its eyes," Nadia declared.

Nathan frowned at her. He doesn't want to involve Nadia as much as possible, but here she is, acting stubborn again.

"No--"

"Listen, brother. If you can only blind it with your sword, but that would be impossible because of its horns, then you have the advantage. That is why I will shoot its eyes so the two of you can kill it then!"

Nadia was very sure about this and had thought up this plan while the two were fighting. Ezekiel thought for a moment and nodded.

"That would be possible," he says.

Nathan was still looking unconvinced but the pig had already started charging again, so he had no choice but to give in.

"Just don't get too near with it, you hear me?" Nathaniel warned and readied himself.

Nadia nodded and with a smile, scurried to the side of a tree where she could easily see the boar's side profile and raised her bow.

The two guys then distracted it, attacking one after another to let Nadia do what she had to do.

Beatriz stood there not that far away from the commotion and was watching the show in amazement. She was still holding the fox in her arms, not letting it go.

'Focus, focus on the red dot...' Nadia chanted to herself.

She held her breath for a moment, and with steady fingers, released her hold on the arrow. The arrow zipped forward, gaining momentum before hitting the wild boar straight into its eyes.

"Yes!" Nadia exclaims.

The wild boar screamed bloody murder and flew into a rampage. It bumped itself onto the trees in pain, uncaring about its surroundings.

"Now!" Ezekiel said.

The both of them then got into action and charged onto the rampaging pig. They attacked the side where it was blind, slashing its neck. Blood dripped down the earth, seeping to the ground like crimson flowers.

It was still alive but gravely injured now. Few more sure slashes and it would die. This thought invigorated the three and a rush of adrenaline pumped into their veins.

The two continued their assaults, simultaneously attacking the same side while Nadia hit it with an arrow again. It sailed in the wind before lodging itself between its eyes. She released an arrow again and pricked it to its wound. The wild boar slowed down, appearing to be exhausted.

"It's tired, now is the chance to launch the final attack. Stab it in its neck," Ezekiel said.

"I'll do it," Nathaniel volunteered and got into a stance.

As he was about to dash towards it, the wild boar's beady eye which wasn't injured caught sight of the lone figure of Bea. And as if it was possessed, it let out a loud squeal and bounded to her direction. Wanting to at least, kill one person with it.

"Bea!" Nadia shouted.

Without second thoughts, her body moved towards Beatriz's direction.

"Nadia!" Nathaniel shouted.

But she was far from hearing anything, and still continued running towards the frozen from fear, girl. Nadia caught sight of Bea's sword from her direction and quickly snatched it before shoving Bea aside. The latter was thrown a few steps away to the right before falling down.

Time seemed to slowly move, Nathaniel and Ezekiel were already moving towards them as well, while the boar was now hair's breadth away from the two ladies.

"AAAHHH!" Nadia shouted and lifted the sword of her, slashing forward, hurting its snout.

She then rolled to the side, got up, and thrust the sword on the wild boar's neck with all her remaining force.

The sword impaled it.

The boar then bumped itself on the tree from its momentum and due to its heavy body before falling with a loud thud on the ground. The tree which was already fragile from the earlier episode of head-ramming broke in half and fell atop the unmoving wild boar.

Nadia, who was standing, fell down to the earth. The rush from earlier had disappeared so her knees lost their strength, and now she was sprawled on the ground, heaving deep breaths. Her eyes were still staring at the wild boar and were still alert.

"Nadia!" Both of the men yelled and came to her.

Nathan grabbed both of her shoulders and stared at her before pulling her into an embrace. He was tightly holding her, and almost crushed her petite body.

"C-can't breathe..." Nadia voiced out. Her voice is muffled from his chest.

Nathaniel only loosened his hold for a bit but never released her. She could feel and hear the loud thumping of his heart, which mirrored hers. Nadia then leaned forward her brother and both of them stayed that way for a while.