Chapter 66 - Who Is Slicing Onions?

I was looking for him the next day that his official day-off had started. I saw him in his study, reading papers, to my horror.

"Dad! No working at home! Did you forget?" I exclaimed and crossed my arms as I narrowed my eyes at him.

The Marquis was surprised and almost dropped the papers on his hands. He looked at me with guiltiness being reflected in his eyes.

"I have nothing to do..." he muttered and avoided the look I was giving him.

"That's the point!" I answered and approached his desk. "It is a day off, no work should be done. The emperor had ordered that too!" I pointed out and sat down in front of him.

My father only furrowed his brows.. Instead of relaxing, he is looking wearier than before!

"I am not used to not doing anything..." he said after a while.

'Of course. He is a workaholic.'

I chewed the bottom of my lip as I tried to think of something. Just then, an idea popped up in my head and I looked at him with sparkling eyes.

"Then let's do something!" I exclaimed as a wide smile appeared on my face, "Let's go on a picnic!"

------------------------***

I glanced at my father who was appearing to be deep in thoughts. He also kept shuffling in his seat as if he was distressed. It made me sigh.

'He seriously wants to work... Oh dad, what am I going to do with you?'

"These biscuits are good," I uttered.

The Marquis suddenly looked at me, "Ah, yeah..." was his answer, and got distracted again.

I slowly shook my head.

"Dad, do you not want to spend time with me?" I grumbled and pouted at him.

'I am here with him and his mind is elsewhere...'

Dad immediately gazed in my direction again as if startled by my words.

"I'm sorry... It's just, I am used to working every time so I can't help but be worried about work. I want to spend time with you, of course!"

I smiled at him warmly, "I'm just bothered that you always had no time to rest. Also, we could only see you during the evening and nothing else. I only want you to be healthy, dad, and spend time with you sometimes..."

Dad's eyes widened for a bit before he fell into silence. I got silent and focused my eyes on the birds flying in the sky instead, basking in the serenity of nature.

"I miss your mom," he then declared out of the blue.

My head turned to him. He was playing with the ring on his finger as he sported this faraway look on his face.

"Maybe that is why I buried myself from work so I could not think of her every second of the day," he remarked, smiling bitterly to himself.

He had looked so sad that I felt his sorrow just from staring at him.

'Oh no, don't make me cry now, dad!'

"I focused solely on my interest that I had forgotten that I still have my children with me," He then gazed at me, "I had neglected the two of you. I hope you can forgive this foolish father of yours," he added and patted my head.

'Damn it!'

I was seriously going to cry so I hid it by suddenly flinging myself to him, hugging him as tight as I could but still failed anyway when he returned my embrace, bringing me to tears.

"I love you daughter," he voiced out as he kissed my hair.

Awww...

It only made me cry even more. I really felt it. And I got sad because I know for a fact that I am not his real daughter, that I am only a foreign soul who is using this body. It made me wish that I really was Nadia, that he was my father. But I am not...

"I love you too, Dad," and I mean it.

------------------------------------------------***

"Oh, you're finally awake!" I exclaimed as the little black fox stirred and opened its eyes.

It stretched its body before it sat down and looked at me. Then it circled my feet and looked up again as if it was saying something along the lines of, hello or whatever bullshit my head is making up.

'Heh. Why would it do that though, I must be out of my mind.'

I bent down to scoop it up and it immediately climbed around my shoulders again, resting there. It sure likes being in there...

"Are you hungry? I bet you do!" I said and walked out of the room with Erin behind me.

The others were in the garden, playing around. It was a fine day and my dad was still at home so we decided to go on a picnic again with others this time. The first one was only two of us. It was such a bittersweet memory, to be honest.

I was just done changing my clothes because I had spilled tea on my skirt and that was when I saw the fox waking in its sleep.

The fox did not answer, obviously, but I heard its little coo while its tail swished. I will take that as a sign that it is happy.

Going outside, I saw both my father and brother sparring. They have been at it since earlier and mind you, it was such a refreshing sight to see both of them in action. I have learned why the Marquis was known as the ferocious lion of the battlefield. Even though Nathan was the current captain of the royal knights and the person who was dubbed as young-genius, he can't fully win against father at all.

It was really fascinating and fun to watch them! It made me want to learn swordsmanship too. Speaking of swords and stuff, Kai has been diligently practicing as well. Either he would take the lessons from Nathan himself or Uno whenever the former is unavailable. It was cute how he is passionate about it.

At first, I thought that he would stop and drop it after a week or so. He is still a child and children tend to get distracted all the time, but he pursued it, to my surprise. He is truly adamant about being a knight.

Lost has been growing at a speed of abnormality these days also. She was now looking like she was the same age as Kai, which greatly mystified us. Even the others noticed it too but I brushed it off with the reason that Lost might be actually older than she looks and she was just a late-bloomer. Surprisingly, they also bought it, which relieved me.

'I am so tempted to know what she is. I swear to Heavens...'