Chapter 123 - He Who Watches

Lukas watched Nadia disappearing out of his sight while chuckling to himself. She was like a frightened deer that barely escaped being hunted just now.

He could still remember her trembling form while she glares at him with tear filled eyes. She was as red as a tomato, which for normal people, it wouldn't be that noticeable. But because his eyes are better than average, he could clearly see even in pitch darkness.

The sadistic side of him was stirred up which led him to tease her a bit. It was really funny to see her acting so tough like that.

'She looked like she's about to cry, pft.'

Lukas never wanted to attend any formal parties because he always found it a pain. Being surrounded by a lot of people who wear fake masks on their faces as they socialize, he doesn't get what's so appealing with that.

.

Also, he hates big crowds. The more possibility of him having to bump shoulders with someone, the angrier he gets. Their thoughts would scream loud inside his head and it's not a favorable situation at all.

He only went because the Emperor wants him there and because of his current mission. Good thing that he got the chance to slip away when he was secretly patrolling around the palace.

Then he bumped into this strange woman. He was already irritated to begin with, so when he found her there on he's resting spot, he immediately snapped.

Just as he was about to escape, his anima stirred. He was surprised at first and thought that the woman was the reason, so he stayed for a while to confirm it. But it wasn't. His anima sensed something nearby and it wasn't from the woman in front of him.

It was a familiar energy either which made him pinpoint who it was in an instant.

'Heh. So she's here?'

Thus, when he got an opportunity to confront her again, he decided to test out whatever his Anima was telling him. She didn't reek of negative energy nor he felt nauseated being close to her.

He wanted to confirm whether he could hear her negative thoughts as well so he did what he never did, removing his gloves and touched her skin directly.

Nothing happened, even when he waited for it. There were no thoughts, no unpleasantness, no nothing. Instead, a cool feeling was felt by his finger again.

Lukas wields dark flames, which means he's always hot. He never has to worry about freezing to death because he never felt cold. The last time he experienced that was before he was eight, before he finally awakened his powers.

So having to feel such coolness was strangely new to him.

'How pleasant... Just who are the Herman siblings? That Nathaniel guy has the same energy but weaker, yet his sister seemed to be brimming with it.'

"Hmm..." he hummed and retracted his eyes.

He then brushed his hair upward and messed it up in return.

"Why don't you come out of hiding too?" He then said out loud to the empty surrounding.

He felt someone else's presence since some time ago when he was wandering around and had already guessed who it was. The presence didn't even bother to hide himself from his senses, as if openly telling him that they don't intend to.

The once empty place was interrupted by another person aside from him. A man appeared out of thin air in front of Lukas. He was wearing white scholarly robes with glorious patterns all over the fabric.

When he appeared, the nearby lamps flickered crazily as they reacted to the tremors of the person's powers. It was no other than Janus, the Empire's greatest magician.

"Hmph. Who said I was hiding, you mutt," he remarked in a snobbish manner.

Lukas narrowed his eyes on the eccentric man. Ever since he was introduced to this person by Ezekiel, he could already notice that he doesn't like him. For some reason, he held so much animosity against him that he was a little surprised.

First of all, he doesn't know this man and it was only their first meeting. But Janus openly showed his hostility to him. He doesn't give a shit obviously, but was just annoyed by it.

He was wondering why the hell did this guy follow him though.

Lukas felt how overwhelmingly powerful this man is. His Anima reacted to it strongly, hissing at Janus. The latter must have known it which only displeased the guy further.

Lukas smirked, "Really? Because I honestly thought you sucked at it."

Janus suddenly unleashes a portion of his power as if to overwhelm him. In return, Lukas let out his own magical aura. Now, two opposing mana were clashing against each other, creating small vibrations in the air.

Yvan and Ylmer, who were hiding in the shadows nearby, felt the shivers going off of their bodies.

"I don't want to hear that from a savage mutt like you," Janus retorted while smiling crudely.

'Hahh... What's the deal with him?'

He still does not understand why Janus was harboring such strong hate towards him and he would never want to understand it either. It's just that it was putting him off.

He could try and kill him off right here but judging the current wavelength of this man, he is sure that Janus is hiding his real strength.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to fight against another strong person but he's currently busy.

'Why am I wasting my time?'

He cast him a glance before walking off of there.

"Whatever," he said.

He has more important matters to attend to rather than senselessly having a childish banter against him. His mission for tonight comes first, he already had enough distractions.

'Now then, where are those rats hiding at.'

Janus golden irises glowed as he followed Lukas's retreating figure. He really didn't like that guy and the reason was very personal. Maybe he's just reaching, this was a different version of him after all. Still, just remembering what this man said, he gets angry.

Moreover, it seems that the Lukas here right now have the same ideals as the other. Which justified his dislike of him.

"... divinity is wasted on him. Tch!" He grumbled for a bit. The first part was unclear but that was what he said.

After that, he stared at the direction where Nadia ran off to and thought to himself. His eyes then flickered towards the western part of the palace and quietly smiled.

There was going to be a show later on, he could already perceive it.

"This better make my stay worthwhile," he mumbled.

He then turned around to go back inside the hall while humming to himself.

On the other side of the palace, a group was steadily approaching the Royal Hall. Their presence would then be considered one of the catalysts as of tonight.